• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW mid-production run changes. Learn sumpin new evryday

SteveJ

I learned you can't get lazy researching parts.

I just got an E30M3 center bearing from a friend. Comparing the new part to the old one, I noticed the mounting ears were spaced differently. To confirm, I check the car and yep, they are different. New part ain't gonna work.

As I'm confirming the part on RealOEM, I enter in the serial number of my car. It shows a production date of 07/1987 (I knew that). E30M3's were built from 12/1986 to 12/1990. What was interesting was that there was no 08/1987 listed. I guess they weren't building any M3's that month, although regular 325i's still have 8/1987 listed in the pull-down. So, I found out the hard way that one of the changes from the early M3 to the later M3 was that the driveshaft tunnel is wider on the early cars.

So, if I were to just enter in a 1988 M3 as most web shopping sites have you do, I may or may not get the correct part unless they are aware of production run variances.

There was also no listing for 8/1989. I guess the Mshop closed for summer vacation those times.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Yeah. Take a month off, come back and all the elves (or whatever it is that lurks around Bavaria) have shrunk the transmission tunnels on the cars.

If I was really strapped, I'd make an adapter plate or cut and weld new tabs to the cheaper driveshaft bearing and save almost $100. Probably a good thing I don't have a welder.

Oh well, if I'm lucky this new center bearing will last another 250k miles as the original one did. I hope so, OE and at that cost.

Steve J

& too many bikes

Most of Europe is on holiday the month of August...

dave v. in nc

Truth. The robots in the BMW factory in Munich get reprogrammed during August. Went on the factory tour with my wife last year in early September. Got to watch one section of the line start up fresh from reprogramming.

Key memory from this section of the tour: listening to the tour lead state with no irony or humor in her voice, "...and now, the robots attack." Very comforting.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Most of Europe is on holiday the month of August...

dave v. in nc

Truth. The robots in the BMW factory in Munich get reprogrammed during August. Went on the factory tour with my wife last year in early September. Got to watch one section of the line start up fresh from reprogramming.

Key memory from this section of the tour: listening to the tour lead state with no irony or humor in her voice, "...and now, the robots attack." Very comforting.

Where I work, we went from German to Italian ownership. The Europeans believe in a strict "holiday" where literally nothing gets done for several weeks.

Steve - I'll take that M3 off your hands whenever you want ;-).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

It's probably in it's best state to ship to you right now...Nearly everything is taken off of it. Hell, the motor/trans is only being held in with the two trans mounts (and the engine hanger support).

I'm waiting for my wife to gift wrap all the boxes full of new parts sitting in the garage, and the dining room, and the sunroom, and still arriving on the front porch.

As soon as the snowball reaches the bottom of the hill, I'll start reassembly. Then comes body and trim...and interior...I hope the 02 holds together.

Steve J

& too many bikes

I didn't know you have an M3.

;-)

Ray

It's probably in it's best state to ship to you right now...Nearly everything is taken off of it. Hell, the motor/trans is only being held in with the two trans mounts (and the engine hanger support).

I'm waiting for my wife to gift wrap all the boxes full of new parts sitting in the garage, and the dining room, and the sunroom, and still arriving on the front porch.

As soon as the snowball reaches the bottom of the hill, I'll start reassembly. Then comes body and trim...and interior...I hope the 02 holds together.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Yeah.

I've kept it pretty hidden and disabled while my son went through his learners permit and getting his driver's license.

It's currently in a Johnny Cash mode - one piece at a time.

Steve J

& too many bikes

"and it won't cost me a dime." I wonder how many Spartanburg employees whistle that song at work.

My wife just tallied up the checkbook for the week. Didn't make a mention. I may sleep with one eye open for a few nights, though.

Steve J

& too many bikes

Had I known, I may have thought to heckle you about it.

A little.

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Yeah.

I've kept it pretty hidden and disabled while my son went through his learners permit and getting his driver's license.

It's currently in a Johnny Cash mode - one piece at a time.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.