• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie seeking guidance

bnam

Hi!

I've been interested in getting a 60-70s bmw and am trying to decide between the 2002s and the CS cars. While I like the looks of the CS better, I suspect the 2002 might be a more budget friendly entry into bmw cars of this vintage.

I'm hoping the members on the forum can give me tips on what I should look for or look out for while looking for a good 02 to buy. While I've never worked on bmws, I've restored a few other cars and am mechanically inclined.

I've looked at some cars on 2002ads and Sacramento CL. Is there a good "buyers guide" online anywhere? Apart from mechanical and rust issues, I'm wondering on what options would be more desirable -- eg. tii or carb, earlier bumper vs. later, etc.

Thanks!

BN

Having owned both, I must say the 02 cars are more budget friendly, interior wood for a CS car alone should make up your mind. If budget is a consideration at all.

Generally speaking the rarer the 2002; ie. Turbo, Cab, ti, tii the more you can expect in resale if/when you decide to sell. Of course, buy in is more significant through the spectrum.

There are many 02's out there that started life as a base 02 and have significant upgrades already installed. Some of which can be had for reasonable/fair prices.

Ask yourself what you intend to do with the car? Daily Driver, Street/Track Car, Stock, Modded, Show, etc.

Then, be patient, research, hire an expert or consult here and buy the best car you can afford.

Caveat Emptor

JMHO, Z

Professionals are predictable; it's the amateurs you have to watch out for, you never know what they are gonna do!

Murphy was a Grunt

A 2002 is a good place to start.

Figure out what you like, then

find the nicest one you can afford.

It's that easy.

t

ps, a CS might make a good third project.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Owning both, the 3.0CS is gorgeous but horribly rust-prone. The odds of thinking you're buying a solid car and getting it wrong are pretty high because rust hides in places you can't see. The rear shock towers are hidden by plastic covers that shatter easily and thus are difficult to pull off at a pre-purchase inspection. What look like rocker panels are actually long wide pieces of trim that, like the rear shock tower covers, are difficult to take off to inspect. The front fenders are lap-seamed on and rot out from the inside. In contrast, on a 2002, the rear shock towers and rockers are exposed, and the fenders are bolt-on. For these reasons, from a purchase risk standpoint alone, the risk in buying a 2002 is much lower; if you're a car guy and generally know where to look, you'll probably do fine.

Driving-wise, the 3.0CS is a touring car at heart -- a much different feel than the snappier tossable '02.

Parts-wise, as a previous poster said, certain interior and trunk parts for the 3.0 are absolutely ridiculous.

For most people, the 2002 choice starts with the round taillight (68-73) or square taillight (74-76) preference. Budget will dictate whether you can afford a tii. Then, as someone else already said, find the nicest car you can afford. Prioritize a rust-free body above all else. Prioritize the condition of the paint after that, and the interior after that (if, of course, those things are important to you). Mechanical condition comes last, as it is the easiest addressed.

Good luck, be patient, enjoy the hunt.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Thanks all!!

Will look for an 02 instead of the E9 coupe. Will read thru the faq and look for a good '02.

There's a Tii in Sac that's been converted to a Turbo. Will have a look at that and a couple of others to and get some pics and seek opinion here.

Byas

Sounded like you are in the Sacramento area. If so, there are several of us in the area, some with extensive parts stashes.

Welcome, "Z"

Professionals are predictable; it's the amateurs you have to watch out for, you never know what they are gonna do!

Murphy was a Grunt