• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did anyone here buy CEYLOVE?

Mark92131

nice car......tasteful.

Its good to see strong( very strong) money spent on a nice 02......its good for all of us.

I will respectfully disagree.

When our cars get too expensive, they get snatched by collectors who don't drive them, insurance costs go up and driving them like they were meant to be driven becomes a luxury of those who can afford it.

The attractiveness of the 2002 is that it's fun to drive and it's affordable.

for those who have a 2002 and want to sell it, it's a good thing. But will we see CEYLOVE on a autocross course or a canyon run. The car will live indoors, be driven rarely and only show up at car shows.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

nice car......tasteful.

Its good to see strong( very strong) money spent on a nice 02......its good for all of us.

When our cars get too expensive, they get snatched by collectors who don't drive them, insurance costs go up and driving them like they were meant to be driven becomes a luxury of those who can afford it.

for those who have a 2002 and want to sell it, it's a good thing. But will we see CEYLOVE on a autocross course or a canyon run. The car will live indoors, be driven rarely and only show up at car shows.

P

....I understand your point.....and to some degree you may be correct, but we are a looooong way off from this happening. Its under 30k, Honda Accord territory.....not 60k...I dont think its breaking any1's bank. I believe it will be driven, ...but both of us are guessing.

Even the sky hi values of early 911's have not stopped real car guys from buying and running them hard and often....and some are even still good values.

Re our lil 02s, they have languished to long as under valued and under appreciated. Look at GTVs or Giulias, 914s or Lotus Cortinas, even K Ghia's!....and Beetles get more money

car's like Ceylove are still few and far between, and Im not even going to start to de construct its real value, its correctness, color change, etc etc.... its just nice to see strong money move in the 02 world.

not to mention, the high prices make it difficult for the wannabe 02 owner with little to no money to get into the 02 game. :) maybe next year (again).

FAQ member #4044

not to mention, the high prices make it difficult for the wannabe 02 owner with little to no money to get into the 02 game. :) maybe next year (again).

ok ok..you guys are right......lets hold down the value on these cars....modify them, restore them...throw money into them....and sell em for dirt cheap,...so folks w/ lil to no funds can join the party. My bad.

I've been into 2002s for 20 years. I must have bought and sold 20 cars. I currently own 3. Prices have been pretty stable for a long time. No, they are not accessible to everyone. Non-enthusiasts will not appreciate a 2002 even if it's "cheap." They go for an E30 or E36.

I am not suggesting that they should remain dirt cheap but I have seen 2002 prices go up to what I think is more what they are worth, after being undervalued for so long. The growth has been fairly rapid and I think they are starting to get overpriced. My concern is that their prices will continue to rise and the cars will become inaccessible to those of us who appreciate these cars but don't make the 6 figures needed to be able to just play with one of them. Comparing them to a $30K Honda Accord is misleading. 2002s are toys, extras. They are not daily drivers, at least not for most of us. I can play with a $10-15K toy. But when that toy is worth $30K or $40K, taking it out on a canyon run or a track event becomes a risk I don't want to take near as often. I may not push the limits of the car as much either. 10 years a go, you could take a 2002, gut it, put a cage, coil-overs, sidedrafts and build a track car. No one is doing that anymore. The track cars running around are the ones that were converted years ago. The market starts drying up as collectors start gobbling the cars up, restoring them and showing them and not driving them which pushes the prices up even further. The available inventory of street cars diminishes, and in that we all lose.

The case made about 911s and Alfas confirm my point. I go to shows and car events. Count the 2002s that are street cars. Now counts the GTVs and the vintage 911s. How many of those are street cars?

2002s are not an investment... yet. And it is my opinion that they never be. They are meant to be driven and enjoyed.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

I personally am pleased to see prices rise on good quality/rare color 2002's The price is dictated by 3 things , condition, condition , condition , there will always be bargains on garage finds, neglected cars & older drivers , almost all can be brought back to A1 condition at a high cost , it's reassuring that higher resale value is becoming a reality.

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

I personally am pleased to see prices rise on good quality/rare color 2002's The price is dictated by 3 things , condition, condition , condition , there will always be bargains on garage finds, neglected cars & older drivers , almost all can be brought back to A1 condition at a high cost , it's reassuring that higher resale value is becoming a reality.

agree....100%.

To Pierre....Ive been in the 02 game 30 yrs. ....you say several things that I don't believe are accurate, but it would end up being a long drawn out thread...

On the other hand, Id love to have this same convo at a bar banging down some scotch....lol. There are so many street driven, street prepped GTVs and 911s.....are you implying that more are track cars?I was confused by that.... and do you really see that 02s are now a bit overpriced?.....wow, not my experience at all. What European car offers the same reliability, affordability of parts, performance and simplicity as these cars?...for $ 2k and up entrance fee into the club?...I say its great to see cars selling for $12, 15, 20k usd,...lets just say we all share love for these cars......and finish at that.

The 02's are going the way of the 356. That is to say, there will be three catagoreis: Original cars, restored cars and outlaws. All are welcome at the 356 Registry. This is where our beloved little '02 is going or should go. It is up to the folks reading this post to bring it to such a conclusion. As for being daily drivers, those days will fade out as more '02s go to the junk yard and they become more valuable to the congnoscenti. The market is the market.

1970 Atlantikblau 

'11 135i "The Red Rocket"
'13 F10 M 

'07 Carrera GT3 "The Flying Banana"

The 02's are going the way of the 356. That is to say, there will be three catagoreis: Original cars, restored cars and outlaws. All are welcome at the 356 Registry. This is where our beloved little '02 is going or should go. It is up to the folks reading this post to bring it to such a conclusion. As for being daily drivers, those days will fade out as more '02s go to the junk yard and they become more valuable to the congnoscenti. The market is the market.

Spot on with your analysis. I think that you have ALWAYS had to pay a higher price for a nicer car (restored, modded or whatever) versus one that had been let go or was not improved in a "favorable" way. I really don't see the value of the cars going up as a bad thing AND so many were made over a decent period of time that you will likely be able to find one in your price range. They are great cars for sure. Ceylove was done pretty nicely it appears and he got strong money in the sale, whether that was losing money, making money or break even money is another thing.

www.alpinabmw2002.com