• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT: Child Seat in a Miata

justinevert

Wife has a temporary ride - '05 Miata, that has anchors in the seat for child seat.

IF there is a need for those, what are the guidelines to having a 3 year old riding in one? (Weight, age, height.....)

Not want to be a bad dad if risking my child, but really interested in the general guide lines.

And NO, I have not installed the seat.

TIA

Justin

The question is not that we broke a few rules or took certain liberties with our female guests.

We did ;)

Charlie don't surf!!

There are no requirements if they ride in the trunk, no one will know.

Check with your state DMV website. That should be one of the FAQ's there. It should depend on height and weight.

For California it is >6 years old and > 60 lbs. Under those numbers should be in a child seat and in the back seat UNLESS there is no rear seat. But then, that is my argument for using the trunk.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Do you know if the Miata has an airbag deactivation switch for the passenger? If not, the kiddy seat has be faced rearward in the passenger seat because an airbag deployment can kill a kid(pretty sure you know this already). I used to drive my daughter around in child seats til maybe 4 years of age. Then I started using booster seats with the cars seatbelt. But I always drove older cars so passenger airbags were never an issue.

Here's a link to the new laws in CA....

http://www.chp.ca.gov/community/safeseat.html

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

Hey guys, thank for the info!!

I live in Texas, the Miata is a later year model with the ability to turn off the passenger air bag.

My girl is 3 years old 40" and weight 30#s.

I can not seem to find any data under Texas code. If anyone here is Texas would know I would appreciate it.

TIA!!

Justin

The question is not that we broke a few rules or took certain liberties with our female guests.

We did ;)

Charlie don't surf!!

Go to a police station or sheriffs office and they will hook you up.

Tip: Clear out all the empty beverage containers on the floor before going to the police station...oh wait, you're in Texas. Nevermind.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Go to a police station or sheriffs office and they will hook you up.

Tip: Clear out all the empty beverage containers on the floor before going to the police station...oh wait, you're in Texas. Nevermind.

Unfortunately, Gov. Perry decided to ignore individual rights and sign into law an open container law about 10 years ago.

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

Steve is right put the kid in the trunk...Wait....yes, that statement could be beer induced. Ok seriously, make sure it has the airbag cutoff. if not do not put the kid in the car.

Wait...is there a luggage rack?...wait...yep thats the beer again.

Keep the kid out of a car with no airbag deactivation device!

Russ

1970 Grey 02 (the never ending project)
2007 328xi coupe (DD)

and a couple hondas for the kid.