• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early 1600 Trim Ring Question for the Oldtimers

eastsidebimmer

I recently acquired a set of very delicate anodized aluminum trim rings (#8 below) and installed them on my steelies with an existing set of Dog Dish hubcaps I had on hand. I really like the classic look (now and then) but I don't know if these were ever shipped new on early 1600s or if they were just a dealer accessory. The early 2002 uses a similar cap and ring configuration, but the cap is frosted silver, doesn't have the ring around the emblem and the rings have oval cutouts with frosted sections over anodized aluminum. I know these are technically incorrect for my 71, but at what point did BMW switch over to full chrome wheelcovers on the 1600s? I seem to remember a smurf blue 1600 in Canada for sale a few years ago that had these, but I can't find any pictures.

27.png

1600-fall.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

used to fancy up early 1600s...I have a couple of not so great ones lurking in my attic. Don't know if the cars could be ordered with 'em or whether they were dealer installed accessories, but they show up both in sales literature and in contemporary road test pictures.

IIRC the first '68 US spec 2002s came with hubcaps and separate tring rings, but the trim rings were heavier grade aluminum (read sturdier) had oval vent holes, and from a distance looked just like the one piece wheel covers that were used on the later roundie '02s. My early (Feb '69 production) came with one piece wheel covers painted silver, but I remember '68s with the two piece hubcap/trim ring setups, also painted silver.

Hope that helps. BTW, those trim rings look good on your 1600--but they're very delicate (and rare in good shape), so be careful with 'em.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite