• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Koni Adjustable Dampers

craz_azn

Hi guys!

I searched and searched, and I couldn't find anything anywhere except one or two posts that didn't help me much on my quest for shocks. I am looking for Koni rear shocks that are Top Adjustable, or even a Double Adjustable version if possible. Does anyone know who may sell such an item that is a 'bolt-in' affair for our cars? I'm hesitating to go with the usual 28 series Konis that have the spherical mount on both ends because I don't wish to do any mods to the top shock tower at this time.

Anyone who knows where to find such an item? Or possibly even a Koni part number that may work? It would be super appreciated! Thank you!

Rudy | rippin' proper | youtube | vimeo

I used Fox chassis (83-93) Mustang Double adjustables. You can also use the same application for the top adjust single adjustment.

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Guest Anonymous

Anyone who knows where to find such an item? Or possibly even a Koni part number that may work? It would be super appreciated! Thank you!

this is what I know you can use. You have to sleeve the lower rear shock mount as the Mustang uses a larger mounting bolt.

The shox you want are from a 1994-2000 Ford Mustang rear(Koni P/N 8041-1186 top adjustable

sport

Koni P/N 8641-1072 1985 Toyota MR2 Sport for the

front.

Wow you guys are fast! Thanks for the quick replies!

CJ - thanks for the heads up that they are longer. This is what I was worried about. Does Truechoice offer any services to shorten shocks? Or maybe there is a shock body that is available for the Mustang that is shorter? I plan to run the car fairly low, so the increased inch of shock length isn't helping me too much. Also, I wonder how critical the valving would be... I guess since I don't have much weight in the rear of the car, I'm hoping it won't be too much of a problem.

Are their any other cars that run a similar mount setup at the top with the rubbers?

armondnotsignedin - For Discussions sake, I notice you using MR2 shocks... are they beefy enough to control the front of the car? I would assume it is a somewhat inadequate since the Mr2 has no weight up front, versus the 02 that is pretty chunky at the front in comparison.

FWIW, I have custom strut tubes on my 02 that accept E30 iX shock cartridges. Luckily, these cartridges are easy to come by with top adjustable version from Koni. I think the valving of this should suit the rough spring rate I choose, and weight of the car accordingly (since the E30 has a similar setup in the front, as far as weight goes).

Guest Anonymous

armondnotsignedin - For Discussions sake, I notice you using MR2 shocks... are they beefy enough to control the front of the car? I would assume it is a somewhat inadequate since the Mr2 has no weight up front, versus the 02 that is pretty chunky at the front in comparison.

Mike Kubani runs the front and rear koni set up for years and loves it. He hasnt reported any issues but perhaps he'll chime. I was going to do this myself but decided to run with a full Coilover/koni set up from Ground Control.

The front shocks are from the rear of the MR2. You will have to make spacers for the bottom and collars for the top if you are going to put them in a stock strut housing. Also the upper mount bearings will have to be changed as the studs are larger diameter.

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

Au contraire-

the early rear MR2 studs (for the FRONT of a 2002)

are about 2mm SMALLER than the Bilstones.

I use a bit of shim stock to keep them off- centered...I think I cut a chunk

off of a hose clamp and jammed it into the spherical bearing!

And yes, they are the stiffest thing you can get from Koni that

fits into a stock (or shortened) 2002 front tube.

Mais oui, they damp a #400 spring for a half- hour of Pacific Raceways-

c'est vrais...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

That's wierd-

oh, hell, no, you're right:

Ireland gives you a little spacer with their adjustable strut top bearings.

Maybe 4mm, total.

WITHOUT the spacer, I ended up with a 2mm spacer.

So lookit that- they're a mm or 2 bigger at the top than the Bils...

Sorry!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just an update to the thread for anyone who may be interested in purchasing these shocks down the road:

I spoke with a Koni dealer and looked at the drawings of both the Fox chassis and the SN95 chassis Mustang rear Konis (single adjustable), and compared them to the 2002 application. Interestingly, the SN95 rear shock was shorter at a fully extended length than the 2002 shock, and the Fox shock was a few mms longer. A spacer will be needed for the bottom mount as they use a bushing that has over 12mm ID, whereas the 2002 is only a 10mm ID. Overall stroke between all three is the same give or take +- 10mm (without bumpstops installed)

I am purchasing a set of the SN95 chassis Konis for the Rear and I will see how that works. Thanks again guys for the suggestions and getting the wheels turning on this idea! (y)

• 3 years later...

Also, I called Ground Control today and asked about this specific set up (MR2 rear shocks used as 2002 strut inserts). GC says the Z guys and 510 guys do this set up all the time and GC can modify the Hybrid Camber plates bearing to 15mm to accept the MR2 shock. GC Hybrid Camber Plates center bearing is 16mm ID so they use a spacer for any strut insert with a smaller OD. This is good news. 

It can be done. But be weary, GC wants to sell their 02 complete Coilover Kit; one guy at GC was audible annoyed that I was trying to go around his full kit at $1800. If you do some shopping, you can have a complete front coilover kit and rear shock/spring combo (using 94-04 Ford Mustang rears with correct sleeves - Koni P/N is 8041-1186 Sport) for right around $1000 and will perform swimmingly on the street or track (Toby is my reference).

This excites me.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards