• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sacramento area help needed

bnam

Finally got my '74Tii delivered today. Will try to determine in the next few days if I did ok or I got a turd.

Body -- Polaris Silver. Looks straight. Have not found much rust yet. Only rust seen so far is in the wheel well where there is a dime size hole and surface rust. Paint is horrible and bubbling/flaking off. One are that I removed a big bubble (about 2 -3 sq inch area) the paint came off leaving shiny metal underneath. The hood seems to have Malaga under the silver but that itself seems to have been a spray with Malaga overspray evident. Malaga paint evident on one side of the nose panel as well.

How can I tell whether the nose was replaced?

The body is otherwise straight. Frame underneath looks straight. No signs of rust on the floors either. Shock towers, around the glass, etc seem ok.

The engine apparently had quite a bit of work done -- here's the ad:

Engine:

Recent Rebuild (Approx. 5000 Miles)

Bottom End Balanced

Ireland Engineering 292 cam

Ireland Engineering Dual Valve Springs

Ireland Engineering 9.5:1 Compression Pistons

New Mechanical Advance Distributor

Ireland Engineering Exhaust Header

New exhaust system (Header to Muffler)

Ireland Engineering Aluminum Flywheel

Battery Relocated to the Trunk

Drivetrain:

1983 BMW 320i (Getrag 245) 5 Speed Conversion

Shortened and Balanced Driveshaft

New Carrier Bearing

BMW 320is LSD 3.90:1

BMW E30 14" Bottle Caps

Newer Tires

Steering Box is very tight

Interior:

All Gauges work (with the exception of the speedometer)

Aardvark Engineering Recovered Recaro Seats (Blue)

BMW Floormats

Dashboard mat

Air Conditioning Parts (AC not hooked up)

Stereo

Wooden Nardi Steering Wheel with BMW logo (Horn Works!)

BMW logo shift knob

-----------

Is there a Sacramento area garage that member here from Sac would recommend? I'd like to get the engine and mechanicals checked out before I decide whether I should throw more $ into this car.

I bought it for $4500. First timer here so not sure if this was a good deal or not, but it looks like it will need a full repaint and interior recovering/carpets.

Thanks!

BN

Sounds like a decent find, i picked mine up for 3k with all of the mods you described, also needs paint but it has some rusty floor pans and a non-tii nose which the po apparently hit a second time... :(

79' 320i (comfy modified daily driver)

73' 2002 (weekend beater crusier/rolling resto)

73' 2002tii (superfast rust bucket undergoing restoration)

72' tii (parts car)  ...99' SV650  ...00' KTM 380 2 stroke ...06' Kawasaki Ninja 500R ...96' F-250 7.3L turbo diesel (towtruck)

the non- tii nose has the intake snorkel fitting on the right side. (for carbed air filter suction)

79' 320i (comfy modified daily driver)

73' 2002 (weekend beater crusier/rolling resto)

73' 2002tii (superfast rust bucket undergoing restoration)

72' tii (parts car)  ...99' SV650  ...00' KTM 380 2 stroke ...06' Kawasaki Ninja 500R ...96' F-250 7.3L turbo diesel (towtruck)

Sounds like a car I sold before I left Chattanooga? Anyway, sounds like a nice find mechanically, lots of desirable mods.

I think Tom Jones (BMW Fame) rents lift time at Schatz and Crumm? There are several of us in the Sacramento area. Welcome to the Madness!

"Z"

Professionals are predictable; it's the amateurs you have to watch out for, you never know what they are gonna do!

Murphy was a Grunt