• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need some advice on restoring vs buying complete...

jate

My suggestions:

Buy a completed restoration, already in the paint color you want. Find a great mechanic who can do the mechanical modifications you may need/desire.

You clearly have done your research, now take the time to search for the right car. Don't jump the gun just cause you see something close to what you want.

When I bought my 74Tii in February, I wanted a rolling project. I didn't have 15K to through down on a pretty Tii, so I thought I could cut corners and buy a car that needed some TLC and try to save some money.

Everyone on the forum is right when they say "triple your restoration budget." I probably could have waited, saved and bought a perfect 02 for less than what I am going to end up putting into this Tii.

But then I wouldn't have the pride of rebuilding my own car, right? I do love the fact that I literally have my blood and sweat on some of the parts in my car. But I hate not being able to drive it whenever I need to start a new project or when I need to take it to the shop (which is often).

Not sure what I would do if given the chance again. I'll have to wait and see when I'm "done."

As per your questions, I don't have much experience in 02's (relative to others on this forum) so I'll just answer the questions I think I am qualified.

2. drives and handles great -

I know what you mean about the lack of pull in an 02. If you want more umpf, but want original, go Tii. If you want real power go with a modified carb unit.

4. Excellent paint and body -

Get a car that is already a color you like. This will save you massive money and stress.

Interior:

I sat in some Recaros recently and thought they were very tight. I don't consider myself wide-hipped, but I am a big guy (6'4" 200 lbs). I found the Recaros a little uncomfortable.

Engine:

If you want reliable, I'd go with a professional rebuilt unit. This isn't to say a non-rebuilt engine isn't reliable. I bet the most reliable powerplants on this forum are meticulously maintained, non-rebuilt motors. But you have no idea what has been done with the engine in this "new to you" car.

Suspension:

FULL rebuild. Replace all the bushings and steering linkages. The idea of a 40 year old steering linkage failure on a highway is too scary.

Car for your daughter:

If the safety issue doesn't concern you as much, then I'd say yes to an 02 for her. I hope she likes heavy steering wheels and cleaning gas spills on the side of the car.

Hope this helps.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love that car Mike!

And my advice... buy restored... I am at almost $20,000 invested and still not into the motor and it has a crappy paint job and half assed body work so add another...$8,000

I am making everything new though...but not the original Tii it was...or that I thought it could be when I bought it (got taken).

And my 15 year old is driving a full sized truck or SUV, no way is he driving a 40 year old car with no ABS, crumple zones, Air bags, door bars, pyro seat belts, etc...

post-123-13667653420193_thumb.jpg

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

And my 15 year old is driving a full sized truck or SUV, no way is he driving a 40 year old car with no ABS, crumple zones, Air bags, door bars, pyro seat belts, etc...

I drive my 02 to school on the nice days and a 6.0 V8 GMC (6,200 lbs) on the not so nice days. If he drives the truck/SUV long enough then he will really appreciate the BMW. Just make the bimmer a special occasion car and it will be respected. As long as he has the passion that we do I'm sure things will be fine.

1966 2000ti Chamonix - old racer, new project

1967 1600 Bristol - stock as a rock

1976 2002 Pastellblau - Alpina tribute

Parts For Sale - The Paddock

My daughters first car was a '76 automatic. She bought it herself with a installment loan from her uncle, just before her 16th birthday.  She rebuilt a weber herself, to replace the ailing solex, drive it for a year or so, and under influence of her friends havIng modern cars, sold it to a good home last January. 

She misses her 2002 and regrets selling it. She swears she'll have another.

All of my friends love my car, not sure how her friends could have convinced her of selling it. I don't think I could ever get rid of mine! Then again I guess teenage boys and girls are different, my car is referred to as "that old thing" by all of the girls at my school. The guys always want a ride or to race me, quite a few of them drive 10 year old mustangs with straight pipes, which isn't exactly a fair fight...

Get her back in an 02! There aren't enough teenage girls that appreciate these cars, and I wouldn't mind meeting one of them ;)

To keep my post somewhat on topic I'd say yes to your 14 year old daughter. If she has the drive to get one of these cars this young then go ahead and make "her wildest dreams will come true". (Quote from Napoleon Dynamite)

My daughters first car was a '76 automatic. She bought it herself with a installment loan from her uncle, just before her 16th birthday.  She rebuilt a weber herself, to replace the ailing solex, drive it for a year or so, and under influence of her friends havIng modern cars, sold it to a good home last January. 

All of my friends love my car, not sure how her friends could have convinced her of selling it. I don't think I could ever get rid of mine! Then again I guess teenage boys and girls are different, my car is referred to as "that old thing" by all of the girls at my school. The guys always want a ride or to race me, quite a few of them drive 10 year old mustangs with straight pipes, which isn't exactly a fair fight...

Get her back in an 02! There aren't enough teenage girls that appreciate these cars, and I wouldn't mind meeting one of them ;)

To keep my post somewhat on topic I'd say yes to your 14 year old daughter. If she has the drive to get one of these cars this young then go ahead and make "her wildest dreams will come true". (Quote from Napoleon Dynamite)

1976 2002 Fjord Blue

2013 750iLX Alpine White

2008 Porsche Boxster Meteor Gray

Quite impressive Sr project! Do you find you have to wrench on it much or have you found it to be pretty reliable? When I was in HS (25+ years ago) there were a couple of my buddies who had 2002s. I had an old 69 mach 1 that was completely restored. I loved having a car in HS that everyone recognized. I am sure your friends all associate you with your car... kinda becomes part of your identity. Having a great looking 2002 makes it all the better. I think that is why my daughter really wants an Inka 2002. She is really an old soul ... loves the Beatles, old cars, jeans and Tshirts, etc. Not really into the Justin Bieber, Hannah Montana scene - thank goodness.

1976 2002 Fjord Blue

2013 750iLX Alpine White

2008 Porsche Boxster Meteor Gray

Being Fresh out of high school and a college freshman these cars are great! As far as reliability goes my car sits for a week down at college with me, I go out, start it, drive it 10 miles then park it for another week. Every 4 weeks I drive it all the way home (275 miles one way,) and have no trouble. Cruises at 70+ the whole way without complaint (I do this on the stock 4 speed). I will say though I have gone through almost the whole car bumper to bumper mechanically so I know it's pretty sound. I do my fair share of tinkering mainly because I like too and second it needs it from time to time (carb adjustment, points adjustment, oil added cause it burns some). I drove my car all through high school (June of my Sophomore year to now) and kids sorta chuckled at it. Then i took em for a ride the end of my senior year and took some corners fast and they were quite surprised! By that time I had the car setup for track driving if I desired.

They're good cars and I would say if you teach your daughter the basics she will have no trouble at all with a 2002. She doesn't need to know how to change subframe bushings or do top end work but typical maintenance knowledge and she'll be set! They're not the safest cars in the world cause of their age but in the end ABS, power steering, and all that arent super essential (IMHO). The have crumple zones and 76's have minor door bars. The biggest thing is if you get her one teach her how to DRIVE not turn the wheel and go down the road, take her to defensive driver school. It helps, I've never personally been but a lot of the stuff they teach I have done on my own in parking lots or back roads and some of my friends have gone and really love it. I wish you and her the best of luck!

Riley- How does your GMC way 11,000lbs? My diesel chev doesnt even weigh in over 6200...

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Being Fresh out of high school and a college freshman these cars are great! As far as reliability goes my car sits for a week down at college with me, I go out, start it, drive it 10 miles then park it for another week. Every 4 weeks I drive it all the way home (275 miles one way,) and have no trouble. Cruises at 70+ the whole way without complaint (I do this on the stock 4 speed). I will say though I have gone through almost the whole car bumper to bumper mechanically so I know it's pretty sound. I do my fair share of tinkering mainly because I like too and second it needs it from time to time (carb adjustment, points adjustment, oil added cause it burns some). I drove my car all through high school (June of my Sophomore year to now) and kids sorta chuckled at it. Then i took em for a ride the end of my senior year and took some corners fast and they were quite surprised! By that time I had the car setup for track driving if I desired.

They're good cars and I would say if you teach your daughter the basics she will have no trouble at all with a 2002. She doesn't need to know how to change subframe bushings or do top end work but typical maintenance knowledge and she'll be set! They're not the safest cars in the world cause of their age but in the end ABS, power steering, and all that arent super essential (IMHO). The have crumple zones and 76's have minor door bars. The biggest thing is if you get her one teach her how to DRIVE not turn the wheel and go down the road, take her to defensive driver school. It helps, I've never personally been but a lot of the stuff they teach I have done on my own in parking lots or back roads and some of my friends have gone and really love it. I wish you and her the best of luck!

Riley- How does your GMC way 11,000lbs? My diesel chev doesnt even weigh in over 6200...

I agree with everything you said here. I found mine to be pretty reliable, but my engine and suspension were rebuilt ground up about 3 years ago so I have a little biased opinion.

Nathan - definitely a typo, it weights about 6200 pounds as well. Maybe it weighs close to 11,000 when we tow our motorcycle/snowmobile trailer packed to the brim.

That question will certainly get you many different responses. Figure out your budget. If you can find what you want within that budget already completed your getting a better deal than restoring. But if you plan to restore, modify, etc to your liking you will get what you want, albeit at a higher price. And ultimately, how long to you want to wait and have patience for restoring. But many have already given detailed observations. I don't think I could do another restoration. It was fun, challenging and the end product was rewarding. Good luck.

Squatch Pads

Lorena Texas

You have the resources to buy and maintain an '02. Having had two restored, one completely by others, the first a combination of my work and pros I can say with absolute certainty that you do not want to have it done. When you decide to restore a car it is kind of an emotional thing and if you want to define "mission creep", this is the right way to do it. It gets into $erious buck$. Take your time and you will see some fantastic cars come up for sale. The folks here will help you. Neither of my cars have ac, but one of the neat things about 02's is they have the vent windows. Crank'em open and air velocity is your ac...if you are moving. It's like getting hit in the face with a blast furnace, but what the heck, it an '02.

Whatever you do get a standard transmission. Most of her friends won't be able to drive it. That is good. As to whether it is a good car for her, well, both of my daughters bent metal. minor stuff, but they bent metal none the less. The first time my oldest daughter sat in the '02 she was amazed at the visibility. She's 5-2, so it was a big deal. A car for the kids is about protecting your investment...them. Send her to a good driving school in her '02. In fact, go with her. With my girls I found that what I wanted most from them as they got older was the hardest for them to give and that was their time. The car can be a connector for you. I consider a 5 sp a high value mod for the '02's.

Merry Christmas!