• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blown Head Gasket Replacement

2002NW

I'm new to this site and hoping for some friendly advise.

My wife's favorite car is a 2002 (and I have no issue with that - one of mine too!). I have the possibility of buying a 1974 2002 for less than $1000. The body and all are in decent condition - howver, the owner believes there is a blown head gasket. The car runs and drives otherwise and shifts well.

A couple of questions:

1) Is this SIGNIFICANT issue for these cars? I've read the 2002 motors are pretty solid, and while head work may be necessary, it does not mean the engine is shot (but I could be wrong). I can get a used head for $75.

2) Is there anything special I should know about changing the gasket? Special tricks, issues, or pitfalls? And is there a recommendation regarding gaskets, particulary a brand or vendor?

Thank you in advance for your time, comments and advice. This may not be "the one" but it looks like a deal worth exploring.

Finally - Merry christmas and best Wishes for the New Year!

Walt

Salem Oregon

No, there is no way a solid complete 2002 with a bad head gasket is worth anywhere near $1000! Give me the sellers address and phone no. and I will go there right away and tell them personally. Don't worry about it, I've got this;-)

1974 polaris A 4281992 (total resto with 5-spd conversion)

1976 jadegrun 2744974 (sold then killed by the new owner, grrrr!)

1976 sahara A 2392532 (sold)

1971 nevada 2571108(RIP)

The only issue is how long ago it went out. *IF* it has been sitting for years with a blown head gasket, water may have seeped into the combustion chambers and rusted out the cylinders, pistons, and rings. I've seen them rusted to the point where the valve stems have so much rust on them, they no longer close.

Rick