• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dye for E30 rear parcel tray?

SteveJ

Getting ahead of myself on my project, but I just un-bagged the parcel trays for my M3 after 5 or so years and saw how sun-faded these parts really were.

The outer material is about the same consistancy as some thick felt. It is (or was for the most part) glued onto pieces of fiber board which is basically cardboard without corrugation. Think of 2002 door panels, except lighter weight.

Any ideas for dying the material? To be correct, I don't think it should be a deep black, but more of a charcoal. There are no other similar parts near by, so a perfect color match isn't needed, but I'd like it close to whatever the original was. Given the type of backing material, I don't think it should be a very wet/soaking type of dye. Also, any type of UV resistant dyes?

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

A few of the on-line people mentioned VHT stuff. SEM also makes some stuff. I always come to the FAQ for some 'real world' advice.

The UV protection is a wish, but I'll probably get another reflective Heat Sheild just for the back seat...especially if I get the seats recovered $$$. (Stitching is shot. Leather probably shrunk up, too. Why don't they sticth them with elastic thread?)

Now, reading up on the VHT site they recommend perfect preparation for the item to be coated. Do you think some Woolite carpet cleaner would do the trick. No visible dirt, but it probably hasn't been cleaned in 25 years other than a vacuum.

Steve J

& too many bikes

steve...the VHT is just lacquer paint in a can...as much as the dye may harden or stiffen the carpet on your board, paint will absolutely make it rock hard....i would either recover it...the materials available today are much more UV resistant than 30 years ago...there are a lot of marine quality carpets that i'd guess would be a very close match to what's on your board

if you want to keep the original material and try to re-color it, i'd just vacuum to get all the and, etc out, stand it up and hose it off, unless the board is cardboard, water would kill it...otherwise use some carpet cleaner in a spray bomb, let dry and use the vinyl/carpet dye available locally...it's the same ingredient as SEM....SEM just has the name recognition and offers a lot of colors...you won't know the difference in SEM black or any black, Dupli-color, etc that you'll find at the corner parts store...

I always feel out of place going into a fabric store. I know what I want, but I always feel like the other customers are looking at me as in, "What are YOU doing in OUR store."

I was trying to find the VHT stuff, as someone posted first hand experince with it. I was only able to find a can of the Duplicolor vinyl and fabric stuff, but it is in the charcoal gray. I think I will try it on the smaller and worse off of the two panels. If it totally buggers up the part it would be easier to recover that one piece.

If all else fails I will use the ultimate UV resistant covering and cover both panels with a mirror mosaic.

Steve J

& too many bikes

DSC04250.jpg

OK. Tried the Duplicolor vinyl & fabric coating on the smaller, more sun-bleached parcel tray. Really pleased with the look. As was suggested, I sprayed a light coat (instant color change) and then used a brush to work it in a little. When dry, the color for the first coat was good. I'll do one or two more coats to make sure it's all even.

The picture shows the newly coated panel an the right, and the original panel on the left. You can see the areas where the plastic vents protected the fabric and kept much of the original color.

The pile on the fabric feels much like it would with a hairspray on it. I imagine I could brush it to restore the softness, but I may not bother. That panel is never touched.

Steve J

& too many bikes