• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mama-s Mini in the shop today

Kidasters

My wife's R50 cooper has been having starting issues lately. It almost stranded me at the hardware store. I figure it's the starter or solenoid. So - I get it started and come home, and here's what the bentley book said:

To remove starter - first remove exhaust manifold - see section 180.

Yikes!!!!! Basically, you have to remove half of the exhaust in order to remove the starter. Stupid.

So - I got it started and drove down the street to the mechanic at the end of the block. He called me after diagnosing the problem and said "You know - the starter is bad. We can replace it, but you have to take the exhaust manifold off, which is a lot of work.".

Yeah - no shit.

So - It looks like Mama's car is going to get professional attention this time.

It's probably better. If I did it, it would take longer, she'd get a custom exhaust and I would be in the garage even more.

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Eek.

Maybe I'll push start mine in order to stave off the inevitable.

I think I am having oil pressure issues at hot starts. Hmm.

GL,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Thanks Ray. It gets worse.

They told me today that the bearing in one of the tensioner pulleys is failing. It's a $200 part. So - I'm having them do belts and tensioner pulley as well.

But they are doing the starter.

On the plus side - the car is an 04, and this is the first major failure we've had. Well - besides the amp for the radio kicking the bucket (which was an $800 part, but I did that swap).

Honestly - if you didn't have to remove 1/2 of the exhaust system to swap a starter, I would have done it.....

Sheesh.....

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

I haven't completely warmed to doing service on our R55. I waited and waited to get the Bentley book only to find warnings discouraging me from even trying to bleed the brakes. I had to resort to the internet, of all things, to find that Bentley was just playing CYA. Sort of reverse of what it used to be- read something on the internet, and then check the service manuals to see if it was true.

We just went out of warranty a few months ago. They had one major repair which was a timing chain tensioner, and then a coolant leak that involved removing the damn turbo to get at. All I've had to do so far is brakes and oil.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

We've been pretty lucky.

Bought the R50 in 2006, and here's what's been done:

Driver's side window regulator failed in 2007 or so. Had that replaced by Mini.

Passenger side strut blew in 2008. I replaced that myself.

Did rotors and pads last year on all 4 wheels myself. Pressure bleeder wouldn't seal on the brake fluid reservoir, so I had Mama sit inside and pump while I bled "old school". Wasn't able to bleed the clutch, but that's such a small amount of fluid I said to heck with it.

And - like I said, the Harmon amp earlier this year. You know, there is NO aftermarket replacement for that? Sux.

I've also done plugs and the ignition coil, and I swapped the stock airbox for a cold air intake. And I do the oil every 7500 miles (instead of 15000 like BMW says).

While the guys at the shop have it, besides doing the belts, I'm also having them flush the power steering fluid. Then, I should be set for another 50,000 mi.

All in all - that's still not bad for a 7 year old car.

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

• 3 weeks later...