• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sears going out of business again?

SteveJ

I think I hear this in the news about every 7 to 10 years- Sears is going out of business. Well, in 30 years of hearing this I can't recall any of my local (3) Sears stores closing. I know the one near my parents in New York closed, but only relocated to the local mall.

My only concern is that is where I buy most of my hand tools (as many of us do). Usually, this is my wake-up call to go through all my tools and exchange the ones that have any damage, or faded markings, or a scuff mark. Particularly nice for allen wrenches and that 10 & 13mm wrench I use all the time.

On the up side, I have seen Craftsman tools in many different stores- Sears, OSH, ACE Hardware. I know OSH got sold to the Sears Holdings company. Is ACE also in that group? I can also buy Craftsman tools through Fastenal. All I need is a local store(any type) to do my exchanges.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I saw that too. I was also worried. I bought a Craftsman tool box yesterday. The Craftsman line is pretty strong. I think if Sears went entirely out of business that it would easily be spun off.

Well - I hope anyway.

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

And I just got money to buy tools there! Im headed there this week I guess and getting broken tools swapped out! Looks like it's only some stores but still...

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

The sears hardware stores in my area have all closed. 3 of them that I know of. No real surprise as the service there was piss poor. Only one guy knew anything about tools. Everyone else there was one.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades