• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driving cross country in need of help Memphis, TN

henry_philly

Hello, I'm driving cross country from California to Philadelphia, and I'm in Memphis, TN right now. 100 miles or so ago, I noticed a very subtle oscillating hum at speeds over 65-70mph, over all the other noises the car makes. There's also a vibration over 70mph that I thought was due to road texture, but am thinking that it's something else. More symptoms, there is a vibration accelerating btw 3500-4000 rpm in 4th gear (this is a 4 spd car) and when off the throttle, the speedo needle is jumping like crazy in a 5-10mph range.

I've called several shops here in Memphis and no one works on something this "classic." I have tools, but no jack, so I can't look underneath to check the giubo. I had a mechanic in Washington state check it out before my trip and he said it was ok except for a minor crack in the giubo that was still "ok."

Does anyone know a shop that works on these BMW's in Memphis? If not, is anyone willing to lend a jack and garage space for me to take a look underneath?

Thanks

Henry

The speedo jumping sounds unrelated could mean the cable is sticking. As far as the sounds go if you don't clanking/clunking noises or grinding ones or overheating / power loss I wouldn't worry that much. You are in for a long journey though so it's good to be cautious.

Go to a lube center and have them check the gearbox and diff oil level just in case.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

If you don't hear from someone on here soon try calling Richard Hall at 901/842-5415 (work) - he's listed in the BMW CCA FRIENDS OF BMW book as having professional expertise, or his home phone is 901/315-9749.

Another possibility from the same book is GaryAulfinger, 901/276-5967 (home) or 901/922-7222 (work). He says he has "good expertise" and tools.

Either of these guys (both of whom are in Memphis) should know of a shop that can help you, or maybe they can be of assistance.

Good luck,

Bob Napier

No jack? Just find a suitable curb to drive the front left wheel up onto. Should be able to slide underneath to get a peak. The exhaust will be in you way if you try to look from the Right side.

If it's raining, well...

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes