• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedometer question

bnam

My '74Tii has a 5-speed from a 320i and a 3.91LSD. I finally got my speedo working only to realize that it is off by about 20-25%. Also, the odometer is not working. Is there a speedo that would be a match for this set up? Or do I have to get it recalibrated?

Thx,

Byas

The speedo's cal'd for 3.64 differential gearing will have a W=1.28 stamped on them. It's in the metal housing near where the speedo cable connects. You may be able to pull the knurled nuts, disconnect the speedo cable, and tilt the cluster forward enough to get a mirror back there to see. Cell phone cameras are sometimes helpful.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Is the W=393 printed somewhere on the speedo? I don't have access to my car right now. Mine has the cross-hair style.

Thx!

B

Here's a pic ot the back of the speedo for you.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

it's for a 3.64 diff, and you need one for a 3.90--as was stated, a US 76 car will have a speedo with the proper gear ratio. Should be able to find one on the FAQ parts for sale. That should also cure the inop odometer problem.

You can get new odometer gears from Odometergears.com, along with installation instructions. It's a common problem on 2002s--speedo works, but the odometer is broken.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite