• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

early 1600 hubcaps in brochure... anyone running these?

malagalaga

Interesting I don't even see them on the cat.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

Here they are as shown in the March 11, 1966 issue of Autocar. They are completely different from the all anodized versions shown in CD's post above and somewhat similar in concept to the rings that were anodized/frosted that came on early 68 2002 models...I've never seen these before on an actual car. They might have been pre-production items.

260eg02.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

These look different than the ones in the brochure image I posted. But I wouldn't be surprised if both were pre-production... those two white cars might even be the same vehicles with different wheels.

Here they are as shown in the March 11, 1966 issue of Autocar. They are completely different from the all anodized versions shown in CD's post above and somewhat similar in concept to the rings that were anodized/frosted that came on early 68 2002 models...I've never seen these before on an actual car. They might have been pre-production items.

260eg02.jpg

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

These look different than the ones in the brochure image I posted. But I wouldn't be surprised if both were pre-production... those two white cars might even be the same vehicles with different wheels.

I thought the same thing, but the configuration of 4 sets of 2 long rounded rectangles together separated by a "spoke/bump" in the ring looks like it might be the same. Very hard to tell on the old advert scan out of a book I had. Mike Self, please chime in!

I'll take a reference picture of the two style of rings I have on hand a post a pic later.

--> 1968 2002 <--

I thought the same thing, but the configuration of 4 sets of 2 long rounded rectangles together separated by a "spoke/bump" in the ring looks like it might be the same. Very hard to tell on the old advert scan out of a book I had. Mike Self, please chime in!

I'll take a reference picture of the two style of rings I have on hand a post a pic later.

Ah, you might be right... the spoke/bump sections are hard to see in the photo I posted. They looked more like a solid dish with no vents in my photo, but I think I see the holes now.

Wonder if they were used on NKs?

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

not Neue Klasse because they are all 14" and different style

more 1600(02) 'pre production' hub caps

Frankfurt auto show 1967 :

FRANKFURTautoshow1967p3.jpg

[/img]

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

the Autocar road tests on either and early 1602 or an NK car--and the NKs all used 14" wheels, so they'd be different anyway.

The earliest 1600s I remember were leftover 6v 67's at Ralph Shomp BMW in Denver in late 1967...they came with the plain dog-dish hubcaps, and the square slot aluminum trim rings were (probably) a dealer-installed option. Early '68 2002s had two piece wheel covers--center hubcaps with a trim ring containing oval slots. From a distance they looked exactly like the one-piece wheel covers used on the later 68s and all 69s, complete with the frosted silver paint vs shiny stainless steel.

Bottom line--have no idea about those pictured trim rings but has been pointed out, they may be prototypes, or examples furnished by a trim manufacturer trying to get business from BMW...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

CD: Those oddball rings on the cabriolet above made it into the marketplace at some point...here they are installed on my 1600.

1600-fall.jpg

Those are gorgeous on your car. I'm so jealous!

Mike, thanks for the tidbits. Sounds like they were probably preproduction units used for publicity shoots and that's it. Too bad!

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

• 2 weeks later...