• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Do We Love these Little Cars?

UroTrash

What makes these little cars so dog-gone appealing?

Why do we all love them so?

Here are the usual answers:

They handle so well!

-Yes, they handle well, but many cheap, modern Japanese economy cars can handle even better.

They may not be crazy fast but they are quick!

-Yes they are quick, but many other more cars can match that easily.

The engineering/workmanship is outstanding!

-Yes, that's true. Just as true for many other cars as well.

The heritage, being the first car that created the genre: Sport Sedan!

-Now we are getting somewhere.

I will submit, that the reason we love these little cars so much has to do in equal measure: their "cuteness", their handling, their sprightliness, their heritage, their diminutive size, their remarkable interior room, their utility, their increasing rareness, their simplicity of maintenance/restoration, their low cost of ownership and most of all their "just rightness"!

how I love the early cars. And the Baur targas. And the convertibles. And the Tourings. I even love the squaretails. I love them all. I light up when I see one in traffic.

Really, what is it about these cars?

I swear, I just love everything about them. from the time over 30 years ago I got my first and marveled at the owner's manual with the little boy pictured through out the document, to last night when I go to the garage and see my 1975 up on the lift waiting its chutch hydraulics to be installed.

These little cars are just "more than a sum of their parts". They are so special and so endearing. So non-pretentious. So just right.

I need a life time supply.

post-19769-13667653966587_thumb.jpg

1970 Nevada 2002 Survivor

1975 Golf 2002 Project

1972 Atlantik 2002tii

Why Do We Love these Little Cars?

because it is a true Road & Track car,

even in stock form. It can keep up with

cars 30 years newer in the turns on a short

course where top speed is not a factor.

It's Dope !

MYCARlarge.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

When you break down other cars from this era of vehicles, and compare them to a 2002 these little cars hold pretty strong. With the full independent suspension, options for a fuel injected car, reliability, a small car you can put 4 people in. That’s still zippy enough to enjoy a drive

The 2002 was a great car when new, and the lasting quality of the car, makes them a great car to own and drive today. There are undoubtedly other great cars but I feel the 2002 is just such a great package.

Vintage appeal, and the drivability, with lasting quality.

1971 1600-2

1974 2002_Turd

1993 525it

2003 325i

2002's (and E21's and even E30's) are a complete package, right out of the box. Power and handling capable enough to run respectable laps around a racetrack, and then utilitarian enough to load four adults and luggage into for a road trip.

I realized this one weekend when I had my wife and a couple of friends in my E30M3 meandering through the wine country on a Sunday. The day before that, I was doing hot laps at Sears Point in the same car. The only modification was removing floormats.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

And because they have become somewhat unique........

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES....talk about unique

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

"Its like a Go-Kart that is street legal."

Everyone loves Go-Karts

Can't agree more with that!

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

I think a lot of it is sensory too, the feelings you get when sitting in a big glass box, as well as the sounds and smells that accompany it. My favorite part of the car is the steering, it's so much more direct than most new cars except a Lotus. It's what gives the go-kart feeling.

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

I'd have to go with, compared

to all the other domestic offerings of the day, and into the next decade, it was way ahead of its time. Yeah, modern economy boxes can compete with it, but not a 60's-70'-80's economy box.

Where's that 'year in retrospect' thread when I need it..?

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

for me it is a travel back to when I was younger. I bought my only other 02 in 73, it was a 69. Now when I go for a short ride, I listen for every sound to make sure everything is OK. But when the trips are longer, I get in a groove where the car takes over and I just go along for the ride. There are nights when I want the ride to go on forever - of course the early 70's west coast rock on my ipod helps :>)

Jeff

74tii

I think there's one more important reason that hasn't been mentioned yet: 2002s are both extremely easy and also FUN to work on! I love to tinker with mine, and I also like how well the whole 2002 community supports tinkering. As an example, I've had FOUR different induction systems on my car (downdraft, lynx single sidedraft, dual sidedrafts, and now Megasquirt) Find me another car that can make that kind of claim!

And as I hinted, a big reason I like 2002s is because I like the kind of people that like 2002s!

-Carl