• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unsprung weight, tires, rear discs my rims etc etc

nbristow01

So I have custom BMW steelies, 15x7 et25 with 205/50/15 rubber. Also beauty rings and NK hubcaps. Of course the 15x7's are not very light. I picked up a nice set of rear discs the other day. Tonight I did a trial fit on one of my rims. Sure enough not quiet enough clearance for the calipers with the steels. So I am at a turning point here. Do I sell these custom rims or do I trade with someone here for some nice alloy rims...or do I sell the rear disc setup and keep drums in back. I am really torn as I like the look of my rims but also kind of wish I could lighten up the car a tad to make it a bit quicker. I also have big bumpers adding to the weight issue.

My question is being that the wheels are unsprung weight will I notice that much of a difference in speed in my car by swapping to lighter weight alloys? Something like BBS RS or 15x7 weaves?

Pics of my current wheels attached

post-17424-13667654023392_thumb.jpg

post-17424-13667654025222_thumb.jpg

post-17424-13667654027046_thumb.jpg

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

I don't pretend to know what a reduction in unsprung weight will buy you in performance. However, I do know what I like. And I like things that are different and unusual. For that reason, if your car were mine, I would keep your custom wheels. No one else has those. It makes your car unique. And, to steal a phrase from c. diesel, they are dope!

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

I don't pretend to know what a reduction in unsprung weight will buy you in performance. However, I do know what I like. And I like things that are different and unusual. For that reason, if your car were mine, I would keep your custom wheels. No one else has those. It makes your car unique. And, to steal a phrase from c. diesel, they are dope!

Ha thanks, I wanted that kind of moded but old school look. I like them, just bummed about the rear discs. I guess I can do the BB up front, if those wil fit, and 320 drums in back

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

I'd keep the wheels, depending on how you drive you will notice a difference with wheels. When I swapped from my 13" epsilons to my basketweaves I gained 4-5lbs/corner and definitely noticed it; however, the tires on my basketweaves are nicer and don't rub so it was a good trade off.

What you'd probably notice would be swapping those for some enkie 15x7's that weigh 9.4lbs/wheel + a lighter tire.

I'd sell the disc kit and use drums for now. Drums are lighter anyways.

How much difference can a pound or two make when your racing rice bombs?

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

You might be able to grind some of the caliper down where it is rubbing. How much did it cost for you to get the steels custom made and where did you get it done?

Well I bought 14" NK rims and sent them to Stockton Wheels in CA, halfway through the job the owner died and they sent my wheels to another place, I can dig out the name if needed. Anyway they cut the centers out of the 14" rims and welded them into 15x7 barrels ET 25

Ran 800 bucks with the rings. The hubcaps cost a few bucks as they are not as common. The center roundels are new, still available, concaved adhesive metal ones from BLUNT So a bit over a grand in the rims complete with the hubcaps

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Yea I think I'm gunna order some diamond racing steelies in the same specs you have. You have no rubbing issues right without rolling fender and such?

the inner lps of each wheel arch was rolled up a bit when I got the car. If they were not it wold rub in back for sure. As it is with the inside lip rolled up I have a bit over an 1/8th inch clearance so no rubbing, front lips are rolled in a bit but not really needed. I run H&R springs as well so I am lowered some

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Personally I like them better as just steelies w/o the chrome, now for the question, are they able to make a 16" version? $800 is quite some cash for heavy steel wheel, but having the BMW center on a 16" rim would look really good IMO. I'm planning on 16's for my next, and final, '02 project.

you have cool unique wheels, keep them. But loose the pic-nic tables - ugly, very heavy, and in the worst place. And with short euros bumpers your wheels will look even better.

Yeah I have been kind of keeping my eyes out for some small bumpers, IE has the fiberglass ones but can't chrome those.

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

you have cool unique wheels, keep them. But loose the pic-nic tables - ugly, very heavy, and in the worst place. And with short euros bumpers your wheels will look even better.

Yeah I have been kind of keeping my eyes out for some small bumpers, IE has the fiberglass ones but can't chrome those.

Here you go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2002-68-76-Ti-Tii-Turbo-NOS-Front-bumper-3-pieces-Euro-style-/180789960882?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a17ebe0b2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2002-68-76-Ti-Tii-Turbo-NOS-rear-bumper-3-pieces-Euro-style-/180787262793?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a17c2b549

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Unsprung weight effects handling, slower turn in and over feel for the road. The added weight, rotational mass, effects acceleration and braking. I think it’s a bit much but some say 1 pound = 1 HP… Some info on the on Tire Rack site...