• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VIN check/2002 registry problem

I'm having a weird problem with the 2002 registry. I registered the 74 Malaga Automatic absolutely no problem, but for some reason no matter what it won't let me register the 75/6 Polaris. The weird thing is that the one time it went through halfway it said that 2374061 is a 1975 vs the 76 that we all think it to be... Can anybody clarify that? My mom who is the second owner after her dad. She's been the owner since 1978 and claims it's a 76... What information does the 2002 registry base it's VIN check off of? It got the fact that 4282899 is a 1974 automatic without a problem .

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

Guest Anonymous

Maybe its for registration purposes. Some people think that if they register as a '75 it is exempt from smog requirements in CA. Since it was manufactured in '75 it might be possible to convince the DMV that it is a '75 vehicle.