• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii linkage finding

bnam

Was redoing my block grounding and wiring so had to remove the accelerator linkage mount that's just below it. While I had it off, I measure the long linkage and found it be at 296mm, while the shorter one was correct at 85mm.

I tried to shorten it and got it to 289 perhaps a shade over. Could not get it any shorter as one side had bottomed out and I could not get the other side nut to loosen and I was scratching the ball joint while holding it with pliers.

I had already ordered 2 ball joint from Max. In case I am not able to get the current stubborn end off (any tips), can I get just a rod?

What a difference correcting the length made. It had been running well before, but the throttle response was laggy. Now much improved.

This along the the new pedal, bushing, and linkage bushings has taken out all the slop and the feels much better.

Byas

• Like 1

The rod at the longer length will definitely slow response and would not let you get to WOT.

I think Jack Fahanna at ProBMW in CA sells the rods with the ends on them.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

On a stock threaded rod, the two ends are one left and one right. Because, they are designed to be left on the connections, loosen the jam nut and spin the rod to adjust the length. So, one left and one right.

#1 is usually a fixed length rod.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Are the ball joints on A left and right hand threaded or are they both regular?

Also, #1 in the second diagram -- what's the correct length for that?

B

I've got 4 of the "A" rods and they are all right hand thread on both ends. I don't think that rod length requires quite the precision as the one between the TB and the Kfish.

The #1 rod is a mystery to me, too. RH threads both ends, but a lock nut on one end. I usually lock the kfish at WOT, block the gas pedal to the stop, and adjust the #1 length to fit.

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

I just pulled out the "B" rod. It measures at 83.5mm vs. the 85mm. What does that do to the fuel mixture? I'm assuming it will cause richness as the pump is now "ahead" of the throttle valve.

Also, I plan to put a new cup bushing. Are there any step by steps on that?

Thanks for all the assistance in getting this car "de-bothched."

Byas

Also, I plan to put a new cup bushing. Are there any step by steps on that?

Byas

Pretty easy.

Lift out the vertical linkage from the KF pump and look to see if you actually have a cup in the recess. Install new one with some lube and re-secure the linkage.

You will have to remove the tiny spring inside the throttle body (be careful not to break the spring), loosen the coupling joining the upper and lower vertical linkages together then lift the upper section freeing the lower section.

pics512010009.jpg

pics512010010.jpg

Check the coupling at the accelerator return spring pin for wear.

pics512010035.jpg

pics512010004.jpg

Old versus new cups along with the NLA protective boot

pics512010020.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Removed it -- but since I was there, I also removed the throttle body to clean it up.

First the linkage:

* The lower part ball is worn down so that even the new cup sits loose.

* The middle part that has the spring is worn down like in your pic -- can I fill up with JB weld? Or buy new?

* The upper part is worn by 0.25mm in the part where it sits on the lower brass bushing -- near where the upper and lower parts are coupled.

Am I looking at replacing all 3 parts?

See lower worn ball.

IMG_1678.jpg

see wear on the shaft

IMG_1677.jpg

Byas

Just looked up parts in Max -- looks like only the lower intermediate shaft is available.

Was surprised to see that the Gasket between throttle body and plenum is $36 -- wow! what makes it so expensive.

The gaskets I found (there were actually 2 of them) both looked thin and stiff, but for $36, I wonder if I should just use sealant...

Is there some place I could take the upper shaft to and have them weld up the slight depression on the shaft and then grind it down?

Or should I just live with it -- and hope that a new lower section plus cub will eliminate most of the play.

Thx!

Byas

If you can afford to, go ahead and purchase some of the linkage parts now - you never know when they will stop being available.

The lower vertical linkage piece is pretty reasonable.

pics512010001.jpg

New versus old

pics512010014.jpg

Return spring for warm up regulator arm

pics512010005.jpg

pics512010006.jpg

My upper linkage isn't as worn as yours - but will still work fine as long as it doesn't wobble too much.

pics512010029.jpg

I just made a gasket for the throttle body.

7bac039a.jpg

Contact Rob Torres at 2002 Haus in San Luis Obispo, CA regarding the coupling. He can provide you with a coupling with new pin on an exchange basis.

IMG_5338.jpg

Is yours as bad as this?

IMG_5363.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"