• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74-on front grill install

bnam

I had noticed that the outside bottom corners on my new 74 did not sit flush. Looking thru the parts diagram I noticed there was a "hooked" bolt that is needed to pull the corner back. So ordered 2 from Max. Got it today, but it does not fit on the plastic grill. What am I doing wrong or missing?

IMG_1664.jpg

Byas

Do you mean your new "j" hooks won't fit thru the mount points? It's surprising how many grilles are tugged off when they hang up---not realizing security hooks may be present and may be the cause of the hangup. If can't see a spot to hook them thru on your grilles-chances are the mounts have been snapped off---scoyote

I think the hook is just ok and with a little persuasion it'll go through the plastic. Also you may try other direction, I'm not sure which way it fits better on the place.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

And you could always drill the hole in the plastic just a tinsey-bit to accomodate the hook. Before you proceed, you might want to also make sure the hook shaft fits thru the hole in the car body. As others have said, that hook looks to have a slightly larger dia. than stock, which measure 0.136". Did it come with the black, plastic knurled knob to secure it to the car?

There is an advantage to having the hook tight in the grille hole. It makes it easier to stick it thru the hole in the car body. If it's loose in the grille it wants to flop down requiring an ice pick, or similiar tool, to guide the hook into the hole in the body.

Bob Napier

The hook is the right size (dia) -- it fits the black plastic nut and goes thru the body hole.

Were there 2 different hooks -- one for the earlier grills and one for the later?

I also need on black plastic nut -- I had one and had some extra white nuts that I thought were the same size, so did not order another nut, but the white ones have a bigger hole.