• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EURO/USA licence plate mounting options

dpecsok

did a search but didnt really come up with quite what i was looking for. i'd like to mount my US YOM plate (for obvious legal reasons) but was unsure as to how others have mounted them either on top of or to the side of their Euro plates on the rear panel. i'd like to avoid just drilling more holes into plates, euro plate holder, and rear panel than are already there. any suggestions, pictures, ect. on what you have done?

thanks all!

post-16330-136676543709_thumb.jpg

"Helmut" '73 2002 Touring ~ verona red :: sold march 2013 - so sad :(

"Hans" '69 1600-2 ~ florida green :: sold september 2012 :(

1600_florida.jpg

I used the plastic euro plate frame $20, mounted my US plates on it, cut off everything that wasn't behind the plate except for two tabs extending out either side to the mounting holes on the car. Fastened the ends of some chrome strips for the trunk of a regular 02 over the mounting bolts to cover them. Front was similar, hung it a little lower, only no chrome strips to cover. A little "floppy", but they do the job. Good luck

black-european-license-plate-frame.jpg

touring019.jpg068GER_5106.jpg

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

(6 x 12 inches) on a piece of heavy aluminum (1/8 or 3/16), cut out the aluminum and rounded the corners with a grinder. I then drilled holes for the US plate, plus two additional holes (with radiused faces) to match those in the bumper. Threaded flat headed machine screws through the mounting holes with 1/4 - 3/8" thick rubber washers behind 'em and bolted the aluminum holder to the bumper, then bolted the license plate to the aluminum. The washers will provide a little give if someone (gently) backs in to you--won't bend the plate. It also allows you to mount your licence plate so it's centered on the bumper, rather than being all above or below the blade.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Not an answer to your question.

Thats a swedish plate,

Bad new is it had been mounted to a MB :)

Registreringsnummer: DPJ613

Fabrikat: MERCEDES-BENZ 200/8

Färg: GUL Fordonsslag: PB

Fordonsår: 1973

MB no longer regestrd in Sweden, might been scraped or exported...

stefan,

thats very cool that you were able to run my plate! just had the touring brought over to the states in November from sweden. i thought i'd add a little authenticity to it by carrying swedish plates on it as it was originally a swedish delivery when new in '73.

actually contacted you on the UK board i think - about you taking a look at it for me but i remember you were about 2000km away from it!

"Helmut" '73 2002 Touring ~ verona red :: sold march 2013 - so sad :(

"Hans" '69 1600-2 ~ florida green :: sold september 2012 :(

1600_florida.jpg