• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

320i rear drums with stock front

florida2002m3

Hey guys, I have to change out my rear cylinders and was wondering if its worth it to upgrade the whole rear to 320i rear drums.

Up front i have fresh, but stock brakes.

Will this mess up my bias, is it worth the time/effort/money?

I dont track, maybe in the future a little autocross, but definitely spirited driving.

Its one of those; do i fix the simple problem (new cylinders) or do a start a whole project?

'74 '02
E60 535i
e36 ///M3

get your stock brakes working properly with good pads/shoes and proper rear brake adjusments, and your stock brakes will be fine.

I doubt if you could find a FAQ member who has experienced brake fade with properly set up stock brakes on the street.

Stock brakes may not be much for bragging rights, but they'll stop you on a dime and hand you nine cents change (from an old 2002 road test).

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I performed this "upgrade" 5 years ago when the rear wheel cylinders on my 68 2002 were leaking badly. Since I was going to be replacing everything, I saw the FAQ how to and went for it. At the time, the FAQ article didn't say that stock 4.5" steelies DO NOT FIT over 320i rear drums without 5MM spacers and longer studs. (The drums get stuck inside the wheel and give you terrible brake pulsing)

The brakes work great---a little too great on my 68---and it became very easy to lock up the RT rear under heavy/panic braking. Very frightening experience to say the least. I can't think of a good reason to only upgrade the rear brakes on an otherwise stock car. My car has been off the road for a few years but I recently purchased this Brake Bias Valve from IE and I'm planning to install it this spring. I have a question of my own: Where is the best location to install the valve, directly outside of the master?

wwvalve.jpg

Racing. This brake bias valve installs inline to the rear brake circuit to allow adjustment of the hydraulic pressure to the rear brakes (reduction of pressure to the rear helps balance the braking of cars with too much rear brake or oversized wheel cylinders). It's very important that during heavy braking the rear wheels don't lock up before the fronts. Valve is threaded to accept standard BMW 10mm x 1.0mm brake hard lines.

--> 1968 2002 <--

If you do go to 320 brakes in the rear, you can just use the 17mm

cylinders to keep the shoe pressure down.

I found that, with 320 front calipers, 19mm's in back

were weak, and the 22's needed a proportioning valve.

Which I put in the cabin so that I could play with it.

Because race car.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL