• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 5002 SC

jmr_1602

I used the search and it looks like this hasn't been posted. Found this on youtube at first, then checked out their website. A supercharged Ford V8 in a 70! Not really my cup of tea, but I enjoy seeing what others have done. Plus if anyone asks, "will a XXX engine fit?" just shoot em this thread. LOL. I like the quote on their site, "I don't think this car goes under category "Checkbook Racing!" ;)

Scroll to the bottom for pics.

http://alpinetrade.com/1970_BMW_5002sc_Project.php

Clips of the monster caught on video can be seen here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ALPINETRADE

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Awesome concept but the ugliest airdam i've seen in a while... This guy has a LOT of hours in that 02!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I've followed phases of this project in our club magazine, the guy is a finn living in US. I don't like it much since there's about nothing left of the BMW. IMO the car is now a Mustang dressed as a bimmer with not so tasteful body mods. All the credit for a lot of work done though, and the documentation.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

• 1 month later...

Thank you guys for the interest on this mutt.

We'll I was expecting all kind of comments on the car, when starting to build it and one thing what I can say is. Always wanted to build something that I don't see every day. ;-)

Yes, not too much Beemer left (specially if considering the tight Finnish % laws), but luckily it's CA and much more open rules.

Yep, I know the nose is ugly. Kind of run out of ideas on the removable nose piece. Used newer 335i Beemer lip as base line (bad idea). But at least it looks little bit like 2002! :-o

Also not too many wide body kits available for 2002's, so had to go with my gut feeling & grinder. I'm not related to Chip Foose, so need to stick to my day job. ;-)

All I can say that this is Ver1.0, which I consider test bench!

Stay tuned for ver2.0, it will be even wilder... ;-)

Although I should spend some time with neglected 1940 Chevy Business Coupe and install the 5.8 SBC V8 and blower, to get that thing on the street. And can't wait to get started on the 1970 Convertible Challenger, where the old tired 318, will make room for new 6.1HEMI with supercharger. ;-)

And adding to the previous.

I know she's ugly, but like Enzo Ferrari said "Car is Beautiful when it Wins."

I would like to say "Car is beautiful when it's fast".

This is not fast yet, but it will be.

Here's a picture after getting her back home, from a visit to a paint shop.

With Nice new coat of BMW 2002 Verona Red. At least something from BMW catalog. ;-)

post-18169-13667656154504_thumb.jpg

Hey, good to see you here. Glad you don't take my comments too seriously. I'm actually very tolerant, everybody builds what feels good for them. Thanks for your stories in Bemaristi.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

We'll, if you build car this crazy, you can't take things too seriously. Besides this should be fun, for me it's relaxation from boring office work.

BTW, I have written few more articles to the BEMARISTI in 90's, when I was still living in Finland and was BMW "purist", but I got over that... ;-)

Tried counting and believe I have had seven 02 Beemers and 14 different BMW's in total so far.

Now a days, like to keep the options much more open, specially since the local laws allow much more freedom in car building and older I get, Crazier I become... ;-)

Like said, stay tuned for the ver2.0 on this Beemer. Goals are much more agressive, than current puny (or Pony on this case) ~300hp... :-o

Almost Forgot, here's some pics from the January 2012 Buttonwillow Vara University weekend.

Only got to enjoy saturday, not the whole weekend.

After 20miles of driving the Ford 9" Currie LSD started slipping and then at the end of the day original standard Balancer broke from the engine. What did the FORD stands for again? ;-)

post-18169-13667656156895_thumb.jpg

post-18169-13667656160122_thumb.jpg

post-18169-1366765616317_thumb.jpg

I dig it, I think painting the splitter on the front red would improve the overall look , then you need a wing like i put on my hybrid beast to balance the front ala baby BAT. I think some of us Foreigners think outside the box sometimes ;)

Photobucket

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

I like the 335i front splitter/lip, for beeing "rubber". It can handle nicely the rock chips and small bumps that happen on a track and on a street. Those lips are less than 100$ a piece and I can switch them in about 5mins if needed. Can't afford the paint. :-o

The car was built to go, not for Show. ;-)

Also needed the big Fish mouth to get the air in. That's quite Big Engine in a small engine bay and in Southern California temps on track (often +80F or +25c) can start damaging things quickly. Plus now there's some room for maybe an Intercooler?

I have Batwing waiting to be used on high speed tracks, but if people thing that the car is ugly now, they should see it with the 70's "Group 5" Trunklid with the adjustable double wing, painted on Black. :-o