• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick Ratio steering box

bnam

The steering on my new 74Tii with the Nardi wheel and 195width tires is more difficult at slow speed than I was expecting, but not having driven another 02 did not have a reference point. At speed, the steering felt quite responsive and smooth.

As I was cleaning up the engine bay and steering box, I looked up the steering box number and searched this site. Turns out I have a QR box (it's silver though) with the 177 ending number.

Would this have been original? Was this standard on all Tii?

Thanks!

Byas

As far as I know, the quick ratio steering box wasn't standard on all tiis. It was an available (and expensive) option. I added a quick ratio box to one of my tiis and like it, but they're not for everyone. I like it when using 185/70 13 tires and a 380mm diameter (or larger) steering wheel.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

177 is the Sport Steering Gear Box

and it will give harder effort steering parking and slow town driving

add to that 195 tires - harder still

smaller Dia. steerig wheel 340mm or smaller - add more effort

the Sport Steering Box is for SPORT EVENTS ( meaning TRACK driving

at high speeds)

it was not standard to any 02

always an after sale retro fit - FOR TRACK USE -

SO either swap it for a 'Std' ratio steering gear box?

fit 185/60x14 tires?

fit a larger Dia steering wheel

drive fast all the time - don't park

read some more -=>

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/60/61?cx=partner-pub-2478521489155222%3Aeolm2n-2i1w&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=sport+steering+gear+box&siteurl=www.bmw2002faq.com%2Fcontent%2Fview%2F60%2F61%2F

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I you haven't noticed from the responses, your Quick ratio steering box is worth more than $2000 in a good condition. So swap it with a cheap stock one and keep that one very safe, they fetch top dollar.

Regards

Jacques

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

Keep it on the car and just run the tires you like. One reason I bought the '02 I did was because the steering was superior to other ones I tried. It turned out I have the sport steering box. Ask yourself if it is really that hard to steer at low speeds. Really? Definitely worth the trade off. You'll get used to it