• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wanting to Join the 02 Culture

ohyeahitsquack

I'd like to thank whoever put this site together - I've loved 2002s since I was little and have been trying to find a decent place to drool over cars that I wish I owned. Now that I've found a good site (with what seems like a bunch of experts), I am seriously considering looking for an 02 of my own. I want to know what it will take to own/maintain one and if I'm even ready for it.

First off, I'm 23 years old and living in NW Oregon. I've been working part time at UPS for 5 years now (transferred from idaho about 4 months ago) and just got another job and start on sunday. I am expecting to make (conservatively) around $1600 a month average between both jobs. I am currently driving an 87 honda civic lxi and honestly want to get rid of it. There's nothing wrong with it; however, I am looking for a little more excitement in my life of driving.

I am not mechanically inclined. I can only do routine maintenance such as oil changes, tire rotation, head/taillights, spark plugs, etc. all the easy things that ALL guys should know how to do (except brakes, for some reason I can't remember how to do them). After finding this website I almost feel the need to take some classes and become a better mechanic so I can catch what so many of you refer to as "the sickness".

I am not ready as of RIGHT NOW to go out and buy my own 02 - but after a month or two (and a few pay checks) I am going to be looking for an 02 and am going to be taking out a loan to do so.

So, with all this said, what are your (the experts) thoughts on my ability (monetarily, mechanically wise, etc.) to be able to become a real 02 owner/fanatic?

I'd keep the first car for a daily driver and get the '02 and learn as you go. When you get it to the point you trust it and your new knowledge of things mechanical, sell the first car then. You won't be left by the side of the road. Or buy an e30.

Ahlem

'76 2002

'90 M3

'90 535i 5 speed

'89 325is '91 318is

'87 325is

Interest--yeah, that's the ticket!

Plenty of 02s in the great Northwest once you dig 'em out of the snow...and lots of folks up there as well as on the board who are willing and eager to help you with an '02.

Great car to learn tinkering on--much simpler even that your 87 Honda to work on, and once you get one properly sorted out and then maintain it, you'll find reliable transportation--and fun--for many years. My two are and have been daily drivers for 42 and 34 years--except for Salt Time here in Ohio--I have an E30 for that.

Welcome to the fraternity/sorority...

cheers from OhiO

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I'd keep the first car for a daily driver and get the '02 and learn as you go. When you get it to the point you trust it and your new knowledge of things mechanical, sell the first car then. You won't be left by the side of the road. Or buy an e30.

sounds like good advice to me. how often would I need to be doing serious maintenance though? That's why I don't really want to start with a real project - I wouldn't know what I'm doing and would be wasting money. I'd rather have a good runner starting and then learning to really maintain it.

btw when ready, I'm going to be financing around $8000. What quality can I expect of a non tii 2002 for that kind of dough?

Talk to Patric at Midnight auto in seattle. You will find a great group of guys there for support and info. You will be supprised what you can do for your self!! Good luck and have fun!!!

Scott B.

1969 2002, 1972 2002, 1967 1600, 2001 540It

Talk to Patric at Midnight auto in seattle. You will find a great group of guys there for support and info. You will be supprised what you can do for your self!! Good luck and have fun!!!

Patrick is the guy to talk to. For 8 grand you could get a mostly sorted car. I will warn you they wont be as reliable as your Honda, they're reliable but have issues. And if they flood in this weather you're out of the count for 8 hours... (Mines flooded twice in 3 years). I'd say keep the Honda and buy a project 02 for less and do the work on it. You'll want to learn how to do a lot of it, it's not hard and it's stuff many cars will need, you also wont get stranded if something doesnt work and you know how to fix it because you've worked on the car. Good Luck!!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I'm a new owner of an 02 myself, but have owned and restored other cars before.

Based on what you've stated about your situation, I'd say that taking an 8K loan to buy this car is IMO not a monetarily prudent decision.

It is an old car and there will be times when it is not drivable. Parts cost can add up. There is always a surprise factor in buying an old used car. There is the investment in tools. The occasional need to take to a mech for things you can't do yourself. Then there is the loan payments.

I'd suggest you start by building up your tools and experience/knowledge on your existing car and start saving on the side.

Byas

...with what seems like a bunch of experts...

Ohhhh, my side hurts...

Be careful with statements like that...PT Barnum is watching.

Hilarity aside- Welcome to the madness. Take your time and don't jump on the first car you think you can afford. Do your research and get what you want. If you think it is an Inka roundie, then get an Inka roundie. Since you have nothing invested yet, you can afford to run away from rust. Once into something, it may be more difficult.

Be aware of your capabilities, but don't be afraid to try something especially if you come here for advice first. These cars are great to tinker on, and the more you know about the inner workings of your car, the better.

Go ahead and buy the Haynes manual and the McCartney restoration book. Good reading to aide you in your hunt.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

If you live in the NW of Oregon or SW Washington then you will want to join one of the largest 2002 groups in the country PNW2002. Over 500 members and a lot of enthusiasm for the beloved 2002. Lots of members to help you find a 2002 and years of experience from the members for troubleshooting and advice. Good luck and hope you find a good 2002.