• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

looking for answers to no-sale 2002

vintage_car

I posted my BMW on ebay couple weeks ago, it didn't get near the reserve. stopped at $8200, which was well below my reserve. What I'm trying to figure out is why.

This is not a for sale thread...this is a thread looking for constructive criticism on my vehicle to help improve sale value.

First of all, I'm not sure, but maybe the sale ad was too wordy. there were some issues that I listed with the car so the buyers were aware.

I am investing in a new interior, fixing the tach so it works, adding in a panel that covers the rear battery so the trunk is cleaner looking, and debating on new driver/passenger glass...with that in mind what are thoughts or maybe even some guesses on value of the vehicle. If you do not want to post value and would rather email them to me, that is fine. I guess I'm just looking for answers as to why it wouldn't have brought more.

link to the ended auction, listing details and pics.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280802993225&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's probably worth about 8200 if it's reliable and runs nice with the 5 speed. The big things that I notice that would hurt value are the paint and the lack of vin tag/stickers under the hood. I personally would also put a euro bumper on the rear instead of the fiberglass but that's just me.

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

because it is a unique vehicle in a tough market. economy down, its winter, 95% of 2002 lookers are in the very low end of the market looking for cheap, not nice. don't expect it to sell first try. it may take months and months to find the right buyer. timing is everything.

if you want it to sell fast, you have to sell it for cheap. if you want it to sell for its value, you have to be willing to be patient.

example is 76 in my sig line. have had a series of low ballers willing to pay pennies on the dollar. i know what is is worth and it will sit in its trailer until right buyer comes along that will appreciate the deal it is. 6 months now and waiting.

btw - ad was great. car is well presented.

2xM3

Yeah i think he is right on about the paint. The choice was a personal one for you and i would imagine that if some one is gonna pay more they are probably gonna want a traditional 02 color. I personally like the color. Nice work by the way! put it back up and see what happens.

Frank

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

Your car looks very nice. I viewed the pics when you first posted it. Like the others say, timing is everything. My VW sits in the garage after being for sale since July of last year. Some folks express interest then the communication stops. No explanation.. maybe their spouse put the hammer down on their toy expenditures.

If you don't get what you want - wait it out for a little bit. I'm trying to do the same.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

because it is a unique vehicle in a tough market. economy down, its winter, 95% of 2002 lookers are in the very low end of the market looking for cheap, not nice. don't expect it to sell first try. it may take months and months to find the right buyer. timing is everything.

if you want it to sell fast, you have to sell it for cheap. if you want it to sell for its value, you have to be willing to be patient.

Non original modified 02s are going to narrow down the buyer's pool no matter how nice. Just need to be very patient like Marshall said. IMO, fix the tach but don't spend any more $ on interior, windows, etc. Trunk looks fine.

Ray

73 Chamonix-S14 powered

Elefant Supply Apparel & more O=00=O

faq sig

Typically, top dollar is had from stock and original cars - especially if they are performance models (Tii). Modified cars do have a market, it is just a lot smaller, and you have to be more patient. My rule of thumb is that with any modification, you are lucky to get your money back on the parts alone. There is no additional money for labor, and the motifications have to be tasteful (which I think yours are). All that said, what it is worth is what the market will pay - and you have seen what eBay says. $8500.

Rex - 1976 BMW 2002

2003 BMW M3

1969 BMW R69S

1979 Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special

1975 Porsche 911s

I followed your project blog and really enjoyed seeing all the work you put into it. I'm just guessing perhaps the market isn't paying high prices for a non Tii that has been modded to the sellers liking.

I think the details you gave definitely did not hurt the sale. Personally the more info I can get on a 30+ y/o car the better. It boosts my buying confidence.

I have seen modded 02's on ebay fetch some high prices however (above 10k). Perhaps a professional photo shoot under proper lighting would boost bids? All the work you've done to the engine bay I would definitely like to see more of.

Sorry I can't throw a price at you.

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

appreciate the comments. I do have a new interior on order, against some posters comments/thoughts, I feel that my interior was something that was fairly untouched and lacking during the restore.

The front seats need attention, with those being recovered the rear seats will look ignored, so I will bring both up to new and that will put me at ease and round out the vehicle to a more accurate 'restoration' description

I do appreciate the comments, watching some other cars on ebay right now and prices they bring then I look at mine, does make me scratch my head. If I have to be patient I can do that too.

Please keep the comments coming, again constructive criticism is more than welcome

I followed your project blog and really enjoyed seeing all the work you put into it. I'm just guessing perhaps the market isn't paying high prices for a non Tii that has been modded to the sellers liking.

I think the details you gave definitely did not hurt the sale. Personally the more info I can get on a 30+ y/o car the better. It boosts my buying confidence.

I have seen modded 02's on ebay fetch some high prices however (above 10k). Perhaps a professional photo shoot under proper lighting would boost bids? All the work you've done to the engine bay I would definitely like to see more of.

Sorry I can't throw a price at you.

Don't be sorry at not offering a price, I'm not posting to get bids at this point of the game, just trying to get an understanding of equal minded 2002 enthusiasts in today's market.

For starters, you have a very nice car there and there is no reason why you shouldn't get fair market value. Unfortunately this is just a bad time to sell a vehicle that to many wouldn't be a daily driver. I recently sold an Alfa Spider and it took awhile to find the right buyer that paid me what I wanted for it. Be patient (if you can be) and someone will come along. I am in Knoxville and took a good hard look at your auction but unfortunately don't "need" another 2002. What I found helped the sale of my Alfa was some really good quality pictures in a parking lot where the background doesn't affect the shot. Detail the interior (remove those brown mats!) and find a large church parking lot to use. Good Luck!

'76 02 (Pastellblau - my 1st car - owned since 1992)
'04 330i zhp (Monaco Blue)

'07 328i 6spd (Titanium Silver)

'11 X3 (Alpine White)

The old rule of thumb that I was given (and have seen work) is to take what you paid for the car originally, and add half of what you've put into it and that's about what you can expect to recover. That doesn't include your time and effort btw....

BMWCCA #545

1972 BMW 2002 Colorado "Traumcycle"

2000 BMW 323Ci

You asked for a critique, on 1st look your car is too monochromatic , to me it looks very 80's. In my opinion you need some BMW bling, rain gutter trim, chrome tail light bezels,rear 2002 badge( not painted), chrome front & rear screen locks , rear bumper will look great,but not a deal killer. black cam cover kills the engine bay, polish or paint a contrasting color ,(be creative ) add the under hood decals too ,they add an interesting detail .Rear wheels/ tires are too small & look lost in the turbo arches,get a wood steering wheel yours looks cheap (too monotone again )The interior you are already tidying (good ) remove the tan mats they look cheap too.

IMHO not too much outlay will get you a nicer more detailed looking 02.

My 02 c worth ;)

Cheers

Steve

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

I think you're right that there are some aspects of the interior that let the car down.

Missing underdash panels, missing window winder & door handle inserts. These are relatively small $$ parts that make me wonder why they are missing. I'm not a fan of the centre console; if it were made up with the longer console sides that go around the gear shift I think it would look better (to me anyway).

As said previously, loose the brown mats.

Exterior, underhood and trunk are fine.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17