• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii intake runners

bnam

The 4 runners seem dimensionally identical and have the same part number, but my numbers also have another number 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 on them. Do those indicate position?

Actually, I have 1,2,4, and another 1 instead of a 3.

Any tips on cleaning up the aluminum parts? On a Fiat Spider I had restored, I had painted the plenum and it had held up quite well.

Thx,

Byas

Tii runners are numbered 1,2,3,4 but they seem to fit in any order.

Since they all have the same part number, I am not sure why BMW numbered them unless for diagnostic purposes.

If the photo in CD's post was taken from the rear of the motor, you may be able to see the 1,2,3,4 numbers

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Not 100% sure, but I think the aluminum 2002tii runners are all the same. Most likely manufactured to have (1) part fit all (4) postions.

When I look up my 73 VIN only (1) runner part number is listed:

# 11 SUCTION PIPE (4) BMW # 11611257031 (NLA)

pics11282010031.jpg

Same thing for plastic runners

# 15 INTAKE TUBE (4) BMW # 11611251348 $ 122.94 Each

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I recently had my four aluminum runners in the parts bath and noticed the part numbers were all the same, except I have two runners with a "1" and the other two runners have a "2" cast into them near the part number.

I'm a mechanical engineer and I've developed a few cast aluminum parts for assemblies during my career. I believe that the extra digit on the runners is used to identify different casting patterns used during production to cast the runners. For economy reasons, BMW will have made more than one pattern of the same part to reduce manufacturing costs. If parts from one particular pattern develop problems, the problem can be traced to the pattern. Otherwise, all the runners are the same (within manufacturing tolerances, of course).

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

I also noted that my runners had dimples on the upper flange to indicate position. Cylinder 1, Runner marked #1 had one dimple, Cyl 2, Runner marked 2 had 2 dimples, Cyl 3, Runner marked 4 had 3 dimples, and Cyl 4 which had the second #1 runner had 4 dimples.

Was that a factory marking or done by a mechanic at some point?

B

I also noted that my runners had dimples on the upper flange to indicate position. Cylinder 1, Runner marked #1 had one dimple, Cyl 2, Runner marked 2 had 2 dimples, Cyl 3, Runner marked 4 had 3 dimples, and Cyl 4 which had the second #1 runner had 4 dimples.

Was that a factory marking or done by a mechanic at some point?

B

Now you made me go look at my runners. The "1" and "2" numbers are actually cast on the side of the runner opposite the part number and date stamp. I have another caveat to add - my tii is a numbers matching '72 which would have originally been equipped with plastic runners, if all the rumors are true. So, the runners may not have all originated from the same car. I could not find any dimples in the castings, either.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

The 4 runners seem dimensionally identical and have the same part number, but my numbers also have another number 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 on them. Do those indicate position?

Actually, I have 1,2,4, and another 1 instead of a 3.

Any tips on cleaning up the aluminum parts? On a Fiat Spider I had restored, I had painted the plenum and it had held up quite well.

Thx,

Byas

Cleaning - soda blast (as opposed to bead blasting which is too abrasive ) and then use a matt clear if you want to give it some protection. Try it out on one piece and see if you like the look and then go from there.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

I ended up just chemically cleaning and then painting. First coat I used was the high temp aluminum which is a bit too glossy. Will go to dull aluminum.

Still, I cleaned the insides of the runners with rags and degreasers till there was no black stuff inside -- all clean now and easier to handle.

Have the plenum cleaned up as well, will paint at the end of the week along with the throttle body which I should get back tomorrow from Rob.

B