• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

speedo gearing and diff question

jp02ti

Mike, i thought about the ti models too, since we've had a couple. however I couldn't find any references to what diff they were delivered with, at least nothing that indicates it was anything other than the "standard" 4.11 or 3.64 LSDs. our 2002ti (both the '69 and the '70) were delivered with a 3.64 LSD.

I don't think the gauges are NK, although there is a remote possibility that it is from a 2000C.

attached are a couple of pictures or the cluster.

and for those depating whether or not I'm an idiot...it all depends who you ask! I'll tell you that I'm a right smart dude, but if you ask my wife you might get a different answer. Please rest assured I did research as much as possible before posing my questions, and while some of the posts are not exactly answers it is still good information.

post-71-13667654826685_thumb.jpg

post-71-13667654827681_thumb.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi JimK,

I appreciate you contributing to this tread. your information will be helpful, although in this case it did not specifically answer my question. Perhaps I could have phrased my question better.

I need to know what car this gauge cluster was OEM on, and despite my research I'm having trouble figuring it out. I needed help. I don't think my mama can help though, at least, not in this case! :)

Please be respectful of my questions, as I am of everybody elses.

thank you all for your contributions and opinions, can we get back to the inital questions please?

Does anybody have insight into what car this speedo came from?

thanks again,

Jon Poole

toront02fest at hotmail dot c0m

Jon -

Those must have been popular clusters. Here's mine I bought from a FAQ member for my ti project. No clue which model it was pulled from.

Note the speedo is stamped 7.68 and also has blue marking of 3.70. Was it made in July 1968 or March 1970? Note the other upside down blue marking of 10.70 on the side section.

DSC_0943.jpg

DSC_0942.jpg

DSC_0941.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Jon,

This may have already been noted -- I'm older and got a bit tired reading this string -- but the photo of the early gauge cluster back, sent by you (jp02ti), I believe, shows markings in the upper right corner of the photo that appear to read "89/2 VDO 12V." One, could this be a repair part dating to February 1989, or is "89/2" simply not a date mark? Two, could a replacement speedometer head date to September 1989 ("89 9"), or is 6 68 simply not a date mark? As Jim (jgerock) already pointed out, maybe 6 68 is not the date; maybe his cluster's date marks are those stamped in ink. We like dates; perhaps we try too hard to see them in every marking.

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Jon,

This may have already been noted -- I'm older and got a bit tired reading this string -- but the photo of the early gauge cluster back, sent by you (jp02ti), I believe, shows markings in the upper right corner of the photo that appear to read "89/2 VDO 12V." One, could this be a repair part dating to February 1989, or is "89/2" simply not a date mark? Two, could a replacement speedometer head date to September 1989 ("89 9"), or is 6 68 simply not a date mark? As Jim (jgerock) already pointed out, maybe 6 68 is not the date; maybe his cluster's date marks are those stamped in ink. We like dates; perhaps we try too hard to see them in every marking.

Steve

Interesting comments. The blue markings on the inside of the Roundie taillights have been one thing I look at when inspecting cars ("yes, I'm looking at your roundies"). No telling how many cars have been mixed and matched over the years.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Hi,

well i have gotten lazy lately about

replies but this one needs a comment.

for all the cars that i have disassembled,

on cars that had speedo's that i felt

were working and not a replacement,

the INK mark, either in a triangle or

not, was the closest matching to the

date of the build of the car.

BUT the three separate components