• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedo to Tranny

AlohaRicky

Hey all. I am really new to this and learning as I go so I apologize in advance.

I've got a 71 '02 and am installing a new speedo cable as the last one i bought it with was no good.

How secure is the connection on the tranny side supposed to be? I've

got it in there but it just doesn't feel real solid. The previous owner had a ton of wire to keep the previous one tight and it was a pain to remove, didn't seem right.

Much thanks.

aa9eld.png

Perhaps a 74 is different, but it needed no wire. The metal part on the tranny end of the cable has a circumferential groove. You insert the cable into the hole in the tranny and there is a bolt to the right that you tighten. The end of the bold protrudes into the grooved portion of the cable end and holds it in place.

Byas

with a light - look up into the speedo drive hole.

With needle nose plyers - rotate the drive gear parts

out and inspect what you have. Sounds like the P Owner

was missing a bushing up in there and botched it together

just for you. Has the speedo worked for you ?

if not - a cable is not the issue - rather, missing pieces up

in the speedo drive hole.........

02outputflange.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Thats really interesting. I will check again this afternoon. I have also gotten the impression from other things that this car was pretty frankenstien'ed together before I had it so that most def could be a possibility. Im just taking it one goal at a time.

I think the previous speedo cable was most certainly bad as well though, the actual line was mangled when I pulled it out. Mystery after Mystery :)

I'l check back. Im really new at this, but hopefully a fast learner.

aa9eld.png

As said before should be only a socket and a screw to tighten it. I did this a few weeks ago on my E21 major pain when you don't have a proper lift specially when your car leaks all types of oil!

Just make sure it goes all the way in and then tighten the screw, pull on it lightly and see if it comes off or not.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

Thanks for the help everyone. I found that the nose of the previous cable was broken inside, was able to extract it and fit the new one in.

So nice to see the working speedo for the first time. Been just prayin that the highway patrol wasnt after me when I see them behind me! Its exciting but no way to live!

Now onto the next mission, I think theres a short or some kind of ground problem as the brake lights make the gauges jump and the yellow 'B' is always on.

One at a time right :)

6706557593_744272db7b.jpg

aa9eld.png

around the instrument cluster - one of the most common is a bad ground on the back of the cluster circuit board that causes erratic readings in both the gas and temp gauges.

Run a couple of searchs and you should come up with lots of info on testing and running new grounds............

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

If your o-ring, bushing and the other parts inside the tranny are worn out, then this will happen when you try to pull the speedo cable out - and you will most likely have a fluid leak at that point.

IMG_0512.jpg

Speedo cable goes in here and is locked in place by the small (8mm wrench?) pin bolt.

IMG_0604.jpg

Old versus new photo of the parts - missing o-ring on the new assembly. You must press the small bushing into the longer collar.

There are (4) total parts: bush, shaft seal, collar and o-ring.

pics92709004.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Any chance if the speedo cable input into the tranny isnt sealed properly that you can get air in the tran?

On a separate note, I figured it couldn't help to ask the best. I have been having some really enigmatic electrical problems. I replaced the alternator after it died on the road, new one puts out 14 volts, and it has been running good for several months, and then out of nowhere died again on me tonight.

Rolled off the 405, alternator light back on, wouldn't turn over. Few minutes later, after checking all the connections started back up. Alternator was putting out 14 volts. My only guess is it seemed like possibly the fuel line from the tank or the vacuum line might have been pinched from stuff in the trunk.

Any guesses?

aa9eld.png

If it wouldn't turn over and then would, I'd suggest bad connections at the battery or starter.

GL,

Ray

Thanks guys. Any chance if the speedo cable input into the tranny isnt sealed properly that you can get air in the tran?

On a separate note, I figured it couldn't help to ask the best. I have been having some really enigmatic electrical problems. I replaced the alternator after it died on the road, new one puts out 14 volts, and it has been running good for several months, and then out of nowhere died again on me tonight.

Rolled off the 405, alternator light back on, wouldn't turn over. Few minutes later, after checking all the connections started back up. Alternator was putting out 14 volts. My only guess is it seemed like possibly the fuel line from the tank or the vacuum line might have been pinched from stuff in the trunk.

Any guesses?

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.