• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Riviera Blue M20

Ken

I found this car in a barn yes really in a barn in Redmond Oregon. I bought it from the original owner’s son who had started to take it apart for restoration and gave up. It has 109,000 original miles on it and showed no signs of any real body damage and very little rust. It had been repainted once before but not very well. It had been in Central Oregon most of its life (dry high desert).

I had a friend of mine, Mark Johnson here in Bend do the body and paint work for me and he was amazed at the great condition the body was in. I took to him completely gutted and ready for him to get started. He did a fantastic job with all aspects of the work. He will do a final buff in 2 months.

I have a 3.2L Metric Mechanic M20 that will be mounted to one of 2002 HAUS’s modified front sub frames. I am also installing one of 2002 HAUS’s rear sub frames to mount a medium case e30 differential. I am not sure what gear ratio I will be using but I am leaning toward a 3.25. I have driven this engine in an e30 with a 3.73 and I want a longer 1ts gear, it doesn’t need any help with acceleration. I had this on a dyno and even at our high elevation it has a solid 200 ft. lbs. of torque and 220 hp. With a red line at 7000 rpm.

This will be a fun project to build and even more fun to drive.

Sorry Jim (jgerock )I don’t want to sell it.

And potentialm20 that would be great to do a drive, it will be awhile for me, the m20 car you are working on I bought with this one. The owner had it as a parts car with no title. I did the leg work and found the last registered owner who had sold it 10 years earlier and it was still in his name. He was glad to sign it off to me. It was too good to not save, it is a very solid car.

Ken

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dang blood, why you gotta do that?

Seriously, that will be sweet. One of my favorite colors. What are your build plans???

Wendel

Pardon my shoddy attempt at humor. I do love the car and am anxious to see the build progress...

Wendell

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

The flares are OEM and are attached with 8-32 ribbed aluminum inserts installed with a nut riveter tool from Harbor Freight and 8-32x1/2" stainless steel screws. I am always leery about Harbor Freight tools but this one did the job.

Not that my monitor is reliable to determine the color but in those pictures it look more like a Pastel Blue... I just bought a '73 Riviera two weeks ago and I hope to repaint my car one of these days...

I will be watching your progress for inspiration... Very sweet project you got!

~Mark

• 1 month later...

wow.......not used to seeing over 200 on an m20...I realize yours is very worked, but still.

...it takes alot of cash to get that power on an m20 that is N/A(I know MM prices)....

lucky you!....

..now I am reminded why I went s50 in my e30 track car....lol...cheaper hp per dollar.........I realise an s50 in the 02 would be silly.

I cannot imagine over 200 in my 02........geez.

nice dyno.

Are you using a extrude honed intake, short runner/plenum, or ITB's? Megasquirt or OEM ECU with a tuned chip? WHP I'm assuming, or is is crank corrected hp? OEM exhaust manifolds, or tubular header?

The paint job looks amazing, I can't wait to see this done!

Rivera is one of my top color choices for the only other '02 project I have planned, it also involves a similarly built M20. I don't think I've actually seen any of the lower production pastel colors in person. PotentialM20 and I will be in Bend for the pole pedal paddle mid May, think we could arrange a meeting? I plan on driving my Agave '02 out there hopefully he'll bring his m20 swap. I've got the blue '76 now as my turbo project, he bought a golf '73 from my friend for his M20 swap which has been running for months now, but still needs little things tied up before it is drivable.