• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii intake reassembly

bnam

I plan to reassemble the intake with new gaskets, hoses, linkage, bushings, etc. So a couple of things to get me through

1. I'm assuming it's ok to not use sealant on the intake gaskets (got new ones -- and surface are well cleaned)

2. What are the torque specs for intake runner to manifold, runner to plenum, and throttle body to plenum?

3. I'm putting back more parts than it had on -- since some things were missing. The order I think I will use is> plenum and #1 and #4 runners and brackets to manifold; then do the hose under plenum, then #2 runner, then throttle body and linkages, then #3 runner.

Thanks!

Byas

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No sealant

Not sure I ever put that much thought into the order but I did find leaving everything loose until everything was attached helpful. A little play in fitting the runners to the plenum is helpful.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I plan to reassemble the intake with new gaskets, hoses, linkage, bushings, etc. So a couple of things to get me through

1. I'm assuming it's ok to not use sealant on the intake gaskets (got new ones -- and surface are well cleaned)

2. What are the torque specs for intake runner to manifold, runner to plenum, and throttle body to plenum?

3. I'm putting back more parts than it had on -- since some things were missing. The order I think I will use is> plenum and #1 and #4 runners and brackets to manifold; then do the hose under plenum, then #2 runner, then throttle body and linkages, then #3 runner.

Thanks!

Byas

As Mr. Williams said...no sealant is required, just fresh gaskets and clean surfaces.

Since I don't believe BMW has published the torque figures specifically for the injection system manifold components, you will have to go by the tightening torque values listed in the front of the Factory manual by fastener size. I just use either a 1/4 drive ratchet or 3/8" one with my hand all the way at the ratchet point. Make sure to use the proper wavy washers under the nuts. The injectors are torqued to 21-25 lb.ft.

I would first install that make-up air hose from the KF pump up thru the intake manifold base, then the plenum (accumulator "log"), then the throttle body and then the runners (# 1 & # 4 first). Make sure to install the throttle body support bracket from the engine block before you install the runners. On my car with aluminum runners, I have to leave off the pressure return valve on the back of the KF pump so that I can fit the # 1 runner.

You might have to temporarily remove the valve cover to get the (2) nuts onto the plenum from the support brackets.

Also - make sure you install the breather hose onto the valve cover before you install the plenum (accumulator "log").

overallgroundwireroutiing.jpg

injectorsmounted.jpg

newfuellines.jpg

pics121308006.jpg

Make sure your throttle body return spring does not rub against the fuel lines.

pics512010052.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Thanks Bill, Jim!

Jim -- on one of your pics I noticed what looks like a bracket between the pump and the block. I'm missing that in mine. I could not quite figure out which part it was on the Parts diag. Do you have a pic or part number for that bracket.

Jim's

jgerocksinjectorsmounted.jpg

Mine

IMG_1761.jpg

Thx,

Byas

That support bracket is hard to photograph and explain.

A triangular piece (BRACKET) secures the rear of the KF pump to the engine. One upper bolt goes to an L-shaped bracket (SUPPORT) at the water pipe (heater supply). Another bolt goes to the oil filter housing.

I think these are the part numbers.

05 BRACKET 1 01/1970 10/1975 # 13511256958 (NLA)

07 SUPPORT 1 # 11531256301 (NLA)

Triangular piece that bolts to the KF pump. Lower left in this picture.

kfafter.jpg

L-shaped bracket that bolts from that triangular piece to the block at the water (heater supply) pipe.

kfpumprear.jpg

The L-shaped bracket has been turned 90 degrees in this picture.

pics1232010042.jpg

Greasy KF pump and triangular bracket.

pics1232010045.jpg

Another picture

July192008.jpg

Jim Gerock

I think I get it. Will add those brackets to the list of parts to hunt down.

It was slow going today, but I got it mostly done.

I missed your point about the return valve barb getting in the way of #1 runner and discovered it after I had installed the plenum, throttle, and #4. Had to take it all apart and restart.

What worked without removing that barb was as follows (for reference of anyone else doing this):

0. Install vent hose on valve cover

1. Install throttle on plenum.

2. Install #1 runner loosely

3. Install plenum onto #1 runner loosely, then install the plenum brackets

4. Install #4 runner, tighten up installed pieces, and throttle bracket.

5. Install intermediate shaft

6. Install #2 runner.

7. Install vac hose from vent hose to throttle

8. Install #3 runner.

9. Install fuel return line onto the pump and clip to throttle bracket

IMG_1788.jpg

Does the arrow on this point to the booster or to the valve cover?

IMG_1786.jpg

Byas

Good progress so far!

Make sure that black plastic/vinyl cap on the bottom of the throttle body does not interfere with the return spring stub on the coupling at WOT. I had to trim mine. Install your linkage pieces and return spring before the # 2 intake runner goes on.

Jim

Jim Gerock

Bill -- thanks for the tip -- while it was ok, I changed the position a bit to ensure more clearance.

Jim -- Thanks -- yes, there was interference when I checked. I heated up the cap and pushed it all the way in. Got clearance now.

IMG_1793.jpg

It is nice to see that clip on the throttle body support bracket, many are missing.

As you know the return line gets captured in that clip and fits in the slot in the bracket

FAQ member #5

Actually, there are two types of clips. They both clip into the support bracket the same way, but one clip allows the fuel line to clip in from the top and the other allows the line to clip in from the bottom.

Jim's photo shows the other style clip.

I am not sure which one is correct though.

IMG_7596.jpg

FAQ member #5

Bill - I am laughing about this right now - enough so that Susan asks me "what are you laughing about"..

Actually, there are two types of clips. They both clip into the support bracket the same way, but one clip allows the fuel line to clip in from the top and the other allows the line to clip in from the bottom.

Jim's photo shows the other style clip.

I am not sure which one is correct though.

IMG_7596.jpg

Jim Gerock