• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii intake reassembly

bnam

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Share what made you laugh...

The fact that you pointed out the goofy fuel return line clips.. I remember the rather long "tii engine compartment differences" thread. We must be part of the OCD tii crowd.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I think I get it. Will add those brackets to the list of parts to hunt down.

I have a triangular plate for you if you want. Do my email button.

Jim

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Looking good! Was your KF pump rebuilt? If so, please add some oil to it before you start the engine.

I appears you have ordered parts from Walloth and Nesch (fuel line). How is the freight from Germany?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Bill,

The clip I got was the upper one in this pic and I intially installed it with the opening upwards -- but then it did not quite align with the slight cut on the edge of the bracket. I turned it upside down (hose inserted from below) and it aligns perfectly.

Yes, the tuna can spring is in.

Byas

Actually, there are two types of clips. They both clip into the support bracket the same way, but one clip allows the fuel line to clip in from the top and the other allows the line to clip in from the bottom.

Jim's photo shows the other style clip.

I am not sure which one is correct though.

IMG_7596.jpg

Turning that clip upside down does correct the alignment but now the clip is working against gravity.

Let me know if it does not stay in place. I would be proud to have a clip or two on your car.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Kris - just awesome!

You can, if you want, get the boot for your fifth injector 61 13 1 352 793.

Thanks Bill. Coming from you, that is a great compliment! Your car and Randy Anderson's are the benchmark for tii's in my books.

I do have that boot, but I can't figure out how to install it without clipping and reconnecting the cold start wiring connector to the fifth injector

70 M2 2.5L 

There are two ways, I think I have done both.

1. Take a pair of needle nosed pliers, stick them in the big end of the boot and just through the small end. Open the pliers and I think it will spread enough to go over the electrical connection.

2. The safer way. Take the wires out of the white plastic clip. Not that difficult. They make a tool to that but I did it with a sharp nosed pick or paper clip.

When you look into that white fixture, the wire terminal inside has a barb on it that springs out to keep it from pulling out of the white fixture. Insert the pick or paper clip into the white fixture to depress the barb. Push slightly in on the wire when you do that to remove some of the pressure. When you fell the barb go down, slide the pick and the wire out. Mark which side it came out of, but it really does not make a difference. Do the other.

Slide the boot on and just push the wires back into the white fixture.

Bob's your uncle!

Randy really has his car looking very nice, plus he is a nice man with a nice bride.

FAQ member #5

Made the DIY KF tool for the warm up regulatro this AM.

IMG_1887.jpg

Checked the regulator and found that it was off. Cold, the gap was only 1mm. So adjusted it to 2.6mm.

IMG_1889.jpg

Followed the instruction on the tuna can -- set the idle screw till it just touched and the mixture screw until it just touched + half turn.

Car started up well and cold idled at 1300 then up to about 1700 and warm idle dropped to about 900.

IMG_1890.jpg

I'm assuming this is warm enough as it leads me to my next question/problem.

IMG_1891.jpg

The warm up regulator is supposed to extend 10mm when warm. I measured only 6mm. Is it not warm enough? Or do I have a bad regulator?

IMG_1892.jpg

I measured it with a long copper wire which I bent to shape and calibrated its end to show 6, 8, and 10mm.

Even so, this it the best I've had the car running so far. So, pretty thrilled.

Kris - -nice work on the engine. Is the braided hose from W&U different from a braided fuel hose?

IMG_1895.jpg

(Looking forward to the game this afternoon).

Byas

Well you are gaining on it.

Was the warm-up regulator down in the hole a bit? Some of those cones actually recess a bit. If so, this may add a mm or two to your measurements.

FAQ member #5