• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just Upgraded to the E30 Alternator AL46X No Bracket Needed!

02Coastie

I just finished the 318i alternator upgrade today, along with a battery relocation to under the rear seat.

I followed Zenon's advice here: http://www.zeebuck.com/bimmers/tech/318alternator/318ialternator.html

However, I was a little put off by the need to drain the coolant and pull the radiator to swap the bracket. In my quest to find a different way, I realized that the only difference in the mounting arm between the two is the bushing and insert on the pivot. They are held in place by a simple clip ring.

So, I decided to see if I could swap out the bushings. With a little effort I was able to push out the bushings from my original alternator (luckily they were in good shape) and move them over to the new one. I crossed my fingers as I put it in place on the original 2002 alt bracket. Everything lined up perfect! 15 minutes and a little wiring later and no voltage drop at idle!

Unfortunately I didn't take pics in the process, but when you look at the alternators you'll immediately see what I'm talking about. So, if you want to upgrade your alternator, think twice about putting in a new bracket...swapping bushings could save you a bucket of time!

"Sabine" 1976 Polaris / Navy - 12+ year Inop Ebay Find. Now with Microsquirt and Cold A/C. 

• 1 year later...

Hi there

Yup...did the same thing. Basically, using the 2002's upper (engine mounted) bracket + upper bushing rod with the e30 alternator, bushings and the luxurious lower adjustable bracket. The pulleys lined up perfectly. I had to remove a wee bit of material off the rear of the rear bushing to make room for the rods washer and circlip (no sweat...just a few swipes along some coarse sand paper).

The first 2 scenarios did not work well...

Scenario 1 - When I used the 2002 engine bracket with all the e30

alternator components, the pulleys did not line up well.

Scenario 2 - Using all the e30 components, the pulleys did not line up well.

(Not well = alternator pulley was set backwards about 1/8 inch).

Regards

Bill

post-16224-13667670292125_thumb.jpg

post-16224-13667670300803_thumb.jpg

post-16224-13667670308702_thumb.jpg

'73 Bavaria, '80 Land Rover Series 2a, '71 2002, '69 2002, '74 3.0s

• 11 years later...