• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

76 underhood tire pressure sticker/picture now included

Napes

It was pointed out in a thread a while back that the 76 versions of the tire pressure stickers were different from all previous years. Here's the sticker:

Bob Napier

If you'd like a larger view in order to duplicate I can email that.

r.napier@mchsi.com

post-144-13667655024863_thumb.jpg

Interesting. Here is the tire pressure sticker from the June 1976 Sienabraun 2002 I inspected yesterday.

Right side fender

DSC_1075.jpg

Other stickers from the same car (for comparison purposes):

Original Parts sticker on right side fender

DSC_1074.jpg

Emissions (EPA) inside right cowl

DSC_1073.jpg

VIN plate and color

DSC_1072.jpg

Oil grade decal inside left cowl

DSC_1071.jpg

Fuse decal under hood left side

DSC_1070.jpg

Battery, coolant and brake fluid decals

DSC_1069.jpg

76 Emissions diagram on left fender

DSC_1068.jpg

Driver's side DOT stickers - I've never seen that small one before

DSC_1098.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Those are interesting, Jim. Those are on an automatic, same as my wife's. Her VIN is 2391904, Feb '76 mfg. Most of her stickers (in much better shape than the ones in your photos) are the same, but appears that the last of the '02 automatics came with different stickers again. My wife's, like the one in your pictures, is also a "49 States Version".

My wife's car is fairly low milage and has always been here in Nogales, Arizona, since new. We know the history of the car. Her tire pressure sticker is in the passenger's side cowl area. Same place as the oil spec sticker on the driver's side. But this web site has shown that it apparently depended on what day and what person was putting on the underhood stickers, as there's no hard and fast rule as to location. I'd be inclined to think the picture in the post below yours is a replacement fender because the color and tire pressure sticker are where the VIN is supposed to be located, with only the color sticker just inboard from the VIN.

But it makes me think that after the Feb. manufactured cars in '76, at some point, the factory went to another different sticker with even different tire pressure recommendations.

Who knows, maybe someday someone will track down somebody who was at the factory during the seventies that will be able to shed some light on this issue, because, God only knows, it's been beat to death over the years on this site.

Bob Napier

post-144-13667655048689_thumb.jpg

Bob,

Many '76 '02s left the factory, roughly in the VIN range 2742000-2745000, 2391500-2392000 & 2379500-2380000, with no VIN plates.

I guess they ran out for a while!

The sticker placement on my old parts car (in above post) is typical of the placement of these "no VIN plate" cars.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

• 2 weeks later...
Bob,

Many '76 '02s left the factory, roughly in the VIN range 2742000-2745000, 2391500-2392000 & 2379500-2380000, with no VIN plates.

I guess they ran out for a while!

The sticker placement on my old parts car (in above post) is typical of the placement of these "no VIN plate" cars.

Agreed. My 49-state, 4-speed, VIN 2742541, came without a metal VIN plate. It was manufactured April 23, 1976 and has only a VIN sticker on the rear edge of the driver's door. Where most cars have their VIN plates (just aft of the passenger-side strut), mine had a color sticker and a tire pressure sticker. The latter sticker was identical to that on the Sienabraun car shown above.

And the photo Les posted above of his ex-parts car (April 9, 1976) shows tire pressure and color stickers in a location identical to their location on my car.

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)