• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doorcard question, and a couple of 2Dub pics!

SA2002Guy

Hi guys,

Quick question. I removed my doorcard with the hope of replacing the worn out board inside (behind). Thing is that the board is so worn out and water soaked that I can't actually figure out how thick it is supposed to be.

How thick is the board that is used to attach the door card to? And what sort of material is it?

And some of you might direct me to a website and tell me it's easier to just order a new set online, it might be easier, but living in the most southern country in Africa does not make shipping cheap, so that's not really an option. Plus I kind of want to do it myself.

As for the pics. I was at a classic race recently, and a couple of sexy BMWs reared their heads:

OK, not to sure how to attach pics, so here is my flickr. I hope you like them.

3/16 " thick (4-5mm or so)--the exact thickness can vary a mm or two, no problem. You can make new ones from Masonite, more heavy cardboard, thin plywood or even rigid plastic, using the old one--plus your upholstery piece--as a pattern.

It would be easier and much cheaper to make new backings for your existing upholstery panels. If you have access to a jigsaw, band saw or coping saw, plus drill or small hole saw--it would be pretty easy. Whatever you use, be sure and install the "acella cloth"--a plastic sheet glued to the inside of the door to cover all the window regulator/door lock/hinge access holes. That will keep water from ruining your new upholstery cards. The acella cloth is often left off when someone goes delving into the door's innards.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

While restoring my 71VW vert I used 3M #75 repositionable spray to mount the plastic moisture barrier. This allowed my to stretch it to a flat surface to cut it according to the template, and after installation on the door if I needed to access the lock or other components, it lifted up easy but stuck right back.

There's also a glue stick instead of the spray.

http://www.staples.com/3M-Scotch-Restickable-Glue-Stick-20-oz/product_510818

It would be good if you or any other DIYer of these boards would create a template/measurements of the door cards for DIYers that follow.

Byas