• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

World Upholstery Carpet

Miked2002

Just wondering if anyone here has used World Upholstery for their 02 carpet? I’ve used them for my headliner and their material is OE and fits perfect.

Looking to get a Salt and Pepper or Charcoal German Import Loop.

Does anyone have a photo of it? Their website photo is so small it’s almost unusable.

Other suggestions, photos and ballpark price would be helpful as well.

Thank you,

Mike

73 tii #2764014

I've used World carpet years ago on one of my 02's. Price was good, fit was good, materials were fine for what I paid ( I got the cheapest cut pile set). I also have some of their seat covers to install. Materials are good, close enough to OEM for what I paid.

There are other products and companies out there that make better stuff, but prices will also be higher. If you have a show car, spend the top dollar and get the perfect stuff. If you have a driver, spend what you want and drive the car. World Uph stuff is good.

That said, Esty makes some really good carpet sets. I have one ready to go into my car. It is the domestic salt & pepper loop and looks close enough to OEM for my tastes.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Good question. I got the one that was in my car when it was new. I am the original owner of the car. Not sure if it was called domestic or import. I can tell you that back in 1974 my carpet was different then other 74's i saw in the area.

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777

Your car having the original carpet is what we would now refer to as Import. The "domestic" carpets use a cheaper material. That's why they cost less. BMW changed the carpet for 74 and on to the molded set. Prior to that year they were the cut and bound sets.

Mike

73 tii #2764014

Did you get the domestic or import set?

funny you should ask...i just wrote the following after much research to add to my website...

FWIW...

I find it interesting that about twice a week i have guys ask for a carpet set in "imported loop"...according to World Upholstery's web site and their description of domestic loop and imported loop, they say that domestic loop carpet is tufted (manufactured) in America from acrylic fiber and their import loop carpet is tufted in germany of synthetic fiber

some common "synthetic fibers" include:

* Rayon

* Acetate

* Nylon

* Modacrylic

* Olefin

* Acrylic

* Polyester

* Carbon fiber

i'm not a scientist but from all that i've read and understand, isn't acrylic a synthetic fiber and doesn't synthetic fiber include acrylic....? if my understanding is wrong maybe someone will explain the difference between synthetic and acrylic...to clarify my understanding, acrylic fiber is just a form of synthetic fiber.....no?...

when you talk about import carpet have you considered that imported anything means only that the materials are brought into the US from another country...keep in mind that another country isn't necessarily synonymous with germany...imported carpet might come from tiawan, china or mexico...so if you're looking for synthetic carpet made from genuine german recycled milk jugs & plastic grocery bags it would be to your advantage to specify german synthetic carpet

i recently received samples of imported synthetic loop carpet and domestic loop carpet from the same vendor...the imported loop sells for $72.00 per yard and the domestic loop for $22.00...there was no made in USA or heco en mexico markings on the carpet so i didn't know which was domestic and which was the imported synthetic material...i went so far as looking at each sample side by side, under a magnifying glass and for the life of me, could not find any differences...now admittedly i'm not the sharpest person but i reason than imported sells for so much because of the high cost of getting the material to the US...a boat ride for such heavy & bulky materials from germany or china can't be cheap...i wonder if you'd rather buy a set of identical, genuine recaro seats and pay to have them ship'd your way from tiawan or buy from and have them ship'd to you from a neighboring state...?

i emailed a german manufacturer recently asking what kind of material the loop carpet was made from and received a PDF file with the following....

germanloop.jpg

what is polyamid you may be thinking....Polyamide Fibers - Synthetic man-made of the raw material used in manufacturing nonwoven bonded fabrics

now you know what your getting when you buy domestic or import...more than likely the same exact thing....well...except for the price