• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you recommend a replacement steering wheel ?

deschodt

"steering wheel" is a little too vague for the search to pull off good results...

What would you recommend as a replacement wheel that works well with the spirit of the car (period look, not too modern) ?

My goals are to replace a stock 3 spoke wheel that is full of scary cracks, has the thickness of vermicelli and occasionally triggers the horn during sharp turns (thought I had that fixed, but nope).

I'd like to maintain the "dished" aspect of the wheel (unless you can add a hub extension and use a flat wheel) - to keep a good driving position - look period correct(ish), be noticeably thicker and possibly a tad smaller in diameter (but not too small either)...

Thinking something like a momo dished prototipo or Retro, there are adapters apparently but I was wondering if you guys have better ideas, suggestions on where to get the good stuff all at once and would love to see the final result befor einvesting (adapters, bmw horn button, stuff like that). I don't want to reinvent the wheel (ha!) and have it look like it doesn't belong... Pics anyone ?

momoretro.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

depends on flavor of your car...hot rod?.... rat?...elegant?...etc etc

Momo Prototipo is a common choice..

Retro ...

Nardi ....

Le Carrera...

Moto Lita....

Sparco

OMP

hub extenders are avail and cheap.....

IMO 350 mm is a tad small.....but 360/370 is hard to find. I run a 370 and I love it.....but its a custom run of old stlye proto's.......and costly( over 300 usd)

here ya go..a FLAT proto!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-MOMO-prototipo-Porsche-Ferrari-Alfa-Romeo-/180812126145?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a193e17c1

depends on flavor of your car...hot rod?.... rat?...elegant?...etc etc

hub extenders are avail and cheap.....

IMO 350 mm is a tad small.....but 360/370 is hard to find. I run a 370 and I love it.....but its a custom run of old stlye proto's.......and costly( over 300 usd)

Thanks for the size info... Classic is what I'm after. Minimal cosmetic mods on my car (Recaros and injection, 5 speed, other wise it looks bone stock)

Just wondering if there were any gotchas, like sometime you find out after the fact the turn signals are too far from your fingers, or the smaller wheel are too hrd to turn now.... something silly like that... But from what you say, seems like it's a standard steering column/adapter. Wondering what it'd look like with the momo adapter, the accordeon thing is not the prettiest... Pictures anyone ?

Doesn't look bad at all, actually... So, is the hub + flat prototipo more or less maintaining the same distance to the turn signal/light stalks? Or is it a stretch now ? Any idea if they have "roundel" horn buttons ?

Guest Anonymous

Another option is the Momo Indy - it's wood, and looks nice. Cheaper than the Nardi classic wheels (which IMO would be the ultimate). I found the Indy a bit smaller than I'd like (I think it was 350mm). Your hands are a tad bit further from the turn signal lever than the stock wheel, so you can't hit the turn signal with your fingers. Not a big deal, though.

I eventually replaced the Momo with the early bus-style wheel, which I love.

Stock late model steering wheel. I like mine, fits my hands nice, is just the right size, great for highway driving and I dont have a problem throwing it around on the backroads.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2