• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

old radio install - thoughts/ideas

jdt10768

I am going to install a Becker Europa, and am interested to know which wire you guys/girls would suggest splicing into for power. Positive ignition wire / constant positive terminal on the back of the ignition switch? This is a 1970 model and has never had a radio installed to my knowledge (no speaker holes cut, no crazy dangling wires). I searched first, and found a couple posts, but would like some more input pls - pics would be great

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

let's kill two birds with one post. I'm getting ready to put a Blaupunkt in my 68 and like your car, mine never ever had a radio, no antenna, etc. I'm using a TuneTrapper antenna w/ 2' lead for under dash mounting and two slim fit Retrosound 4x6 speakers under the dash. I'm not super concerned with FM quality as I also have a DIN plug adapter for AUX input. Thanks! -Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

If I recall correctly there is a purple wire off the Hazard switch wiring in the center console, if you are lucky it has a factory spade connector, that is your power.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

electronic, you only need switched power--i.e. you don't need a lead that's hot all the time for the memory/clock like you do on newer units with electronic tuning. The best place on early cars is the "ign on" ("accessory") lead on the back of the ignition switch. These old radios have in-line fuses, so the setup will be fused independently of the fuse box. That's the way the dealers wired 'em up when the customer wanted a radio in his new car and it works just fine--has been on mine since May 1969...

If your radio is mono, just mount a speaker back inside the console, below the radio. Move it back far enough so you still have storage space. If it's stereo and you only want two speakers, put one there, and a second in a surface mount box on the package shelf. You can either wedge it in place between the backlight and the seat back, or velcro it to the package shelf so you don't have to drill holes. I have a very cool old Blaupunkt swiveling surface mount rear speaker with a modern 4x6" coax speaker inside, and a matching speaker up front in my '69...nice sound for a vintage radio.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

no speaker holes cut

Lucky bastard

Agreed I have 2 perfect panels ruined by some nasty holes. I'm gonna have to put some speakers on em to cover it agh.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978