• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Chrome Bumper Bolts (Saucer Heads)

eastsidebimmer

I spent some time searching and found this post by BLUNT from 5 years ago where the tribe settled upon PN 51 11 1 863 827 (E21 Euro) as the correct Saucer Head bolt for early chrome bumper connoisseurs. Is this still true and are they available? I have the yellow plated type (Pictured) for use on the bottom side but I need 4 fancy ones to finish the topside front and rear bumper install on my 68 project.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,284573/highlight,chrome+bumper+bolts/

jk992w.jpg[/img]

--> 1968 2002 <--

Interesting! Shows as available 315 E21 only!

They should be about $10 don't have exact pricing right now as we are experiencing a website/system/general malfunction! But it looks available from Germany.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

chrome headed carriage bolts to hold the bumper pieces together. They were yellow cad plated--and rusted in a couple of years, which is why (like the painted wheel covers) the factory switched--to chrome plated bolts, at least for the ones that were visible behind the bumper guards atop the bumper blades.

For your '68, use the shorter cad plated bolts, unless you're mounting a fog/driving light bracket using the bolt, then use the longer one. You're not gonna be driving your '68 in the salt anyway, so the bolts will look nice for a long time. The ones on my '69 still look nice even though I installed 'em in 2000 when I had the bumpers replated.

Perhaps someone with an original '70 can relate whether their car has chrome or cad plate bumper bolts.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

(cad plate) carriage bolts with stainless steel caps crimped over the heads...not chrome plated bolts. Most folks think they're chrome; that's why I described 'em as such.

what I don't know is when the factory switched over. My Feb 69 production 2002 had (and has) the plain cad plated bolts, but my Dec '72 production 73 has the stainless steel-capped bolts.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite