• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing questions

bnam

The next step in rehabilitating my 74Tii is to check the dwell and timing. I've replaced the bosch platinum plugs with W7DC gapped properly. (BTW, what do you recommend for a gapping tool?). And, after resetting the Kfish warm up regulator gap and linkages, hoses, etc -- car is running well without surging (so far).

The PO had installed a lightened flywheel (IE?) -- will this have the timing mark? Do the pulleys have a TDC mark?

The battery is in the trunk. The timing light I bought from HF has coiled leads which are not too long. Where should I hook it up to? Starter?

Byas

Can't answer the question about the mark on the modded _flywheel_ - I can't even see the ball on the stock one.

TDC is marked on my pulley (73 tii) by a notch and white line. I added 10 deg and 25 deg with nail polish.

I found a very interesting thread from another forum on tuning the tii. If you search "2002 tii secret sauce" and read over the entire thread it may help you get started in terms of setting the timing. I've found myself going back to that in the last couple months of getting things up and running.

You could probably find +12V from the diagnostic plug and a small alligator clip for your timing light. Pin out is here: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,316838/highlight,diagnostic+plug/

post-21045-13667655262513_thumb.jpg

Thanks! Used the front pulley for timing. Now I wonder why bother with the back "ball" when the front pulley is easier -- is there some advantage?

Used the red wire at alternator and the car ground.

Used the "secret sauce" aka what's listed in the Haynes manual.

Byas