• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bristol 1600 M42 progress....

Dtepe

Didn't really want to post unfinished pictures but hey, many asked to see and so here I go. almost 4 months into it, perhaps it will finish soon.....

Engine totally gone through and so is the 5 speed tranny. Lots of new parts added, all gaskets and seals new, newly rebuilt head, totally rebuilt 1600 brake system, new suspension bushings, new ball joints, new many many other things that I don't remember etc. I chose to keep everything else stock other than the drive train. I know, I know I could have upgraded this, upgraded that but I wanted to keep everything else simple and have that stock look and feel with the wicked 140hp high revving motor...

Thanks for looking

post-20146-13667655275713_thumb.jpg

post-20146-13667655276849_thumb.jpg

post-20146-13667655280843_thumb.jpg

post-20146-13667655282209_thumb.jpg

post-20146-13667655286047_thumb.jpg

Thats a very nice looking car. I believe a member on here has or had a Bristol..Gustav?... may have been the cars name? One of my favorite 02 colors. When I first got my 02 the paint was shot and looked terrible. So I hit it with rattle can gray primer and drove to my first Mid America that way. The joke was that my car looked primer when dry and Bristol when it rained. Can't wait to see it at Cars and Coffee. Did you do any mods to the engine?

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Dtepe-

It was nice meeting the other day...Thanks for the parts.

Nice to see pics of the M42 posting. Looking coward to seeing more cars at C&C. Looks pull the e30 M42 out of storage.

Chris Hutton

72 02tii Ceylon 2761758

71 02 Sunroof Riviera 2574316

68 1600 Bristol 1565358

88 535is sold

Yes own brackets professionaly made, so were the transmission bracket and fabricating the exhaust, drive shaft etc but don't remember if the shop did any changes to the steering wheel (I don't think it was necessary). Everything is in place and clear. We are waiting to install the harness and fire it up perhaps ths weekend.

John thanks. I can't wait to drive it. Specially with that 1600 gearing ratio in the differntial mated to that M42 drivetrain. The shop thinks it will be so much more quicker than a 318is simply because of the weight and the gear ratios but top speed will be compromised to almost 10-15 mph on the 1600.

4.27) so the 1600's diff will be nearly the same.

I've found that my E30 318is is turning nearly the same revs at a given speed in 5th as my 2002 with a 5 speed and 3.64 final drive.

And yes, your 1600 will step along right smartly with an M42--esp if you feed it a chip. From what I've read, a chip will give more bang for the buck horsepowerwise than cams. You can get nearly 150 hp with a chip change....and they're a lot easier and cheaper than new cams.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Nice project!

I would suggest upgrading the brakes (Volvo, vented, etc.) as you're going to want to drive it really hard. In fact, my `69 1600 might have been saved had I upgraded the brakes over stock before I rear-ended a Cadillac. I'd also suggest using a Westco Miata battery under the back seat. That way, you can run an E30 battery cable up to where the stock location would be for the M42 (passenger side firewall).

Also, I'd like to see what you did for the exhaust. Any pictures of that?

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog