• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Euro bumper question

Themis

So, I'm removing the (shortened) US bumpers from my 1974 '02, and replacing them with euro chrome bumpers I bought from someone in the forum, and had Brandon Browder rechrome.

My problem is that the bumpers have round holes for the attachment of the protective rubber strip. The strip was largely gone, so I managed to salvage only a few attachment bolts (shown in the photo).

I have seen other (earlier, later?) bumpers that have oval holes, and those accept the silver quick-attach clips. The clips are relatively cheap, but the bolts are more than $5 apiece from Max. And I need about 20!

So I have two options. Buy the clips, or try to machine oval holes in the bumper (but don't know how easy that's going to be). I looked at a hardware store and online for parts that would do the same job, but couldn't find anything.

Any of you guys faced the same problem and solved it cheaply?

Thanks

Themis

post-19986-13667655404784_thumb.jpg

The round hole bumper pieces were aftermarket and the oval hole units are OEM. Get the p/n off Maximillian's web site and then shop it, or make a friend at the local BMW dealer (they can still order it) try and get the BMWCCA discount at the least.

72 Tii 2761525 Fjord- sunroof

73 Tii 2762870 Malaga- sunroof

73 Tii 2763356 Atlantic- sunroof

73 Tii 2763815 Fjord- sunroof

In any case I would not mess the bumper after it's chromed. Touching the holes would compromise the protection and last thing you want to see is rust bubbling from under the trim in newly chromed bumper.

After all the money and effort I would pay for the right mounts. Replace them all so you don't get rusty water running from old ones.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

The round hole bumper pieces were aftermarket and the oval hole units are OEM. Get the p/n off Maximillian's web site and then shop it, or make a friend at the local BMW dealer (they can still order it) try and get the BMWCCA discount at the least.

Interesting comments. The old bumper on my 73tii uses the round holes and sliding clips (as in the picture above) to secure the rubber strip - pretty sure it is original. It seems some bumpers have the slots for clips, some have holes. Maybe the factory changed this design in 72/73 - not sure.

Edit: I must comment that the inside of my bumpers were coated with POR by a PO and that the lower portions of the end pieces in the rear are silvery (not that shiny). The center rear section isn't as shiny as the top.

D0F563BE.jpg

pics42609008.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

To be honest I didn´t realize the difference between those round and oval holes yet.

But as for german market there were a lot of aftermarket suppliers for bumpers (euro style as we have them here). One can distiguish the factory BMW from the aftermarket if the paint inside is still original. If I remember right the more yellowish ones are BMW and the more greyish ones are aftermarket. Also the chrome is thinner on the aftermarket ones and mostly the bottom bumper part is not shiny but rough and a bit cratered.

Statement above only valuable for real NOS parts up to late 80s/early 90s. Newly produced and sold BMW factory parts do have a pretty much decreased quality as far as I have seen in the last time - not only bumpers but nearly all of them. E.g. many of the body parts - front fenders, rear fenders, front panel etc. - do have a quite bad fit meanwhile.

Best regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Accoding to the BMW Parts Book that I have, all 4 corner bumpers have round holes and the rear centre bumper section has slots.

This for '71 & up bumpers with the rubber strips.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Accoding to the BMW Parts Book that I have, all 4 corner bumpers have round holes and the rear centre bumper section has slots.

This for '71 & up bumpers with the rubber strips.

Hey Les, you're not going to make me remove my rear bumper again for pictures - right? ;0). On my car, all three sections have holes, no slots. I ordered the wrong hardware the first time using RealOEM as a guide.

Jim Gerock

Thanks for the responses everyone, this helps. I also ordered the wrong set of fasteners. According to the BMW spare-parts book, it takes two bolts (used at the rubber strip's edges) and 15 clips for a '73 bumper. But with my bumper, I need 17 bolts for the rear bumper alone (= $85).

Thanks for the comment that it's not a good idea to drill the chromed pieces, obvious but didn't think about it.

Hey Les, you're not going to make me remove my rear bumper again for pictures - right? ;0). On my car, all three sections have holes, no slots. I ordered the wrong hardware the first time using RealOEM as a guide.

No, wouldn't do that to you Jim.

The parts book is weird, it calls up only 2 of the T-bolts and 15 of the clips, yet, it calls up 17 6,4mm nuts as if all are T-bolts.

It's been a long while, but I believe my Touring has all T-bolts and no clips.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

No, wouldn't do that to you Jim.

The parts book is weird, it calls up only 2 of the T-bolts and 15 of the clips, yet, it calls up 17 6,4mm nuts as if all are T-bolts.

It's been a long while, but I believe my Touring has all T-bolts and no clips.

No worries Les. Help me find a decent '69-71 Roundie for my ti project and I'll remove it multiple times and buy you some beer.

Jim Gerock

I know a good pizza place in TEDA.

Also, Jacky's bar.

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Would love to Jim, but I'm now in Tianjin, China, for a while.

Ray Koke packed up and left for the US when he heard I was coming. hehe.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.