• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New headlight options

Dylanhat

Sealed beams or H4's? If you have sealed beams dump em for a set of Hella H4's, makes a BIG difference!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

There are plenty of options for the temperature of the replacement H4 bulbs. Just stay away from the blue tint bulbs...unless you like that look. Go with a good brand name lens/reflector like bosch or Hella. Also with a name brand bulb by the same or at least PIAA or Sylvania.

If you are upgrading to H4's, look for the info on the FAQ for wiring or fuses that you may need.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Hella H4 lights, new relays and super simple harness from Susquehanna Motorsports in PA. No more dim headlights and less strain on the stock light switch.

That kit looks great, which one is it? Does it handle your driving lights as well?

1972 Verona tii - "Betty"

2002tiiRear.jpg

According to his sig. he has a 76, they already have headlight relays...

While that's true, one of these setups with beefyier wire and relays and shorter runs is still a big improvement.

But I hear what your saying.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I built the same harness as the Susquehanna (slowly I turn...) harness for my car. The improvements are that you are pulling a fresh, good ground and +12 connection to the relays. The harness just plugs into one of the existing headlight connections so all the switches operate as stock. I actually found the connectors for the back of the headlights on clearance at a Wal-Mart.

A plug -n-play harness allows you to keep the original wiring in place to go back to stock at any time.

You would build a similar harness for your auxillary lights, but could probably use only one relay.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

John

According to his sig. he has a 76, they already have headlight relays...

That's only half true. While the later models indeed have headlight relays, the circuit doesn't really work the way a relay circuit *should*. BMW uses them to interrupt one another so that the low beams cut off when the high beams are on, however they left it such that the dash and stalk switches STILL switch the FULL current load. Crazy, yes, but there you have it. So the key here to rewiring (or using a new/different harness) is to use the switches only to work the relays and let the relays do all of the high current handling. So even in a late model, if you rewire things, you should see an improvement in the stock headlights just by cutting out the extra losses from the old, not-so-great circuit. Email me if anyone would like some wiring diagrams.

-Carl

The busdepot.com headlights are European motorcycle lamps. The German bulbs they sell are an off-brand, made in (East) Germany. Don't ask how I know. I also bought a set of E-Code Hellas from Susquehana with 70/80W yellow H4 bulbs for my 944. Difference is night and day, pun intended. Neither are as focused as the H1 bulbed Euro headlight conversion from Taiwan that I put in my son's E36.

'72 BMW 2002tii

'00 Porsche 911