• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 years later...another guibo ready for replacement

jgerock

Thought I was out of the woods after I installed the 5-speed back in January-March 2010. After the trips to Arkansas and North Carolina, the car was doing fine except under hard acceleration.. the guibo was rubbing against the shift selector rod and made a horrible noise.

Back up on the stands today for inspection (looking familar?)

IMG_6807.jpg

The guibo is cracked in at least three places, but it still rotates without "wobbling".

IMG_6804.jpg

IMG_6802.jpg

The outer diameter shows interference/rubbing from hitting the selector/shift shaft and my tranny bracket appears to be tilting down at the rear like something is bent.

So, this time I'm going to change out the current cantilever mounting bracket and use the factory method of a modified 4-speed bracket and Lee's stainless steel tabs in the tunnel (along with another guibo). I must add a comment about the current bracket - it is from 2002Haus and my car is set up almost exactly like Keith Kreeger's 74tii, but his car doesn't exhibit the same noise under acceleration. I must have something either installed incorrectly or something is bent.

IMG_6809.jpg

One positive note - I finally got Antique tags. No more VA safety inspections and registration renewals.

IMG_6810.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I am good to help on weekends.

You really only notice the "wobble" when the bolts and nuts are loose just a bit. Enough to see a small space between the flange and the guibo.

Which transmission "cantilever" unit were you using?

How is your shift platform supported in the back?

Now can you scrape that sticker off of your windshield or does that still have to stay?

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I am good to help on weekends.

You really only notice the "wobble" when the bolts and nuts are loose just a bit. Enough to see a small space between the flange and the guibo.

Which transmission "cantilever" unit were you using?

How is your shift platform supported in the back?

Funny thing is I have no vibration issues at all. I would think so if the guibo was in bind. I went over the driveshaft installation multiple times trying to keep it straight.

All parts are from 2002 Haus (bracket, shifter, tower, arm). Everything works perfectly except when I accelerate hard.

Jim Gerock

I'm happy to swing by to lend a pair of hand on the weekends as well - will admit an ulterior motive as I'd like to add this to my knowledge base!

"When the government fears the People, that is Liberty. When the People fear the Government, that is tyranny."

- Thomas Jefferson

Might not hurt to give Rob Torres a call and run the situation by him.

Bob Napier

Bob - I did contact Rob right after this started happening. The guibo itself was one thing he suspected. My first one was an El-cheapo and didn't last after my first test drive. The second one was/is a genuine febi/Bilstein one.

Jim Gerock

Ok, now on #2.

Just for kicks and giggles, before you take anything completely off. Loosen all the nuts and bolts about 1/16" or so - enough to see a small gap between the face of the guibo and the flange.

Rotate the drive shaft and watch the gap. It will open and close a bit either on the sides or top and bottom. This will give you an idea of what is out of alignment.

Are you using washers in there?

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Measured about 4 times for the new driveshaft before ordering. It came in slightly too short, so I pushed the diff as far forward as I could, but still needed a couple washers to take up the slack.

Would this make a difference? I recall we had to temporarily install washers on Marshall's car using a loaner driveshaft (same bracket).

Jim Gerock

Looks like the guibo is getting too much preload. The washers in that location could possibly allow too much articulation of the guibo.

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

The washers will not cause a problem. Look at Mercedes guibo joints. They are spaced significantly (8mm?) from the driveshaft mating flange. Obviously the washers aren't there originally on a 2002 but they will not cause a problem.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©