• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 years later...another guibo ready for replacement

jgerock

I vote no washers.

Do you have washers on the flange on the other side that we can not see in the photo?

If not, then things are out of plane. If so, +1 on CJ, maybe to much flexing going on.

Get out your driveshaft stretcher!

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I totally respect what you're saying Skip, but the Benz guibo looks to be a bit different depending on which one you're comparing.

Personally Jim, and this is just a suggestion, when I replaced my guibo, I loosened the diff, installed the driveshaft with the new guibo, then went back to tighten the diff bolts. Its been 6 years since and I inspect the guibo as part of my oil service.

In your case I'd make sure the guibo is'nt deformed once you tighten the bolts up.

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

The U shaped brackets sag over time. That could be your problem. The tabs are the correct way to do it.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

If the washers create an inordinate amount of preload, of course they would be a problem. I'm just saying that they won't cause a problem if used judiciously in that application. Jim's a damn smart guy. I don't think the washers are causing his problem.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

I don't think I'm questioning Jim's intelligence, just offering up suggestions as he posted an issue.

I'll stop making suggestions on this post.

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

I am swapping out a trans (again) right now and I have a bracket I made myself. While it works well, I have noticed the same sort of cracks in my guibo and they seem to be caused by the tranny being too low. I raised my trans mount up with an extra washer and that seems to make it spin correctly now.

Jim, sorry to hear about the guibo issues.

When I did my 5-speed conversion in 2002, the only way to do it was with the tabs. It has held up fine, still using the same guibo.

Washers may affect things a little. I once installed the bolts in the wrong direction on my 525i and had a noticeable vibration. Taking them out and putting them in the right direction made the vibration go away.

I've seen several different versions of the bracket, and I'd hazard a guess that Roadhog's on the right track in mentioning that the brackets may sag. I'd wonder if some may flex at times. I always wondered why BMW didn't use a bracket like that, maybe there was a reason?

Good luck with the tabs. I remember not having a whole lot of room to work in down there, but yours is cleaner....

vince

Guiboo....Smeeeboo. I got an idea. what if a guy was to use some Nail polish on the guiboo rubber before tightening.....wait til it dries then tighten things up. Then examine the painted marke to check deformation. My theory is that if placed in the correct orientation the way it Cracks would indicate how the stuff is misaligned. Just an idea I am throwing out for somebody to run with then report back. Then we can beat it to death with opinions and theories?

No help with the driveline issue, but...

Change out those horrid looking hex head bolts on that rear plate. A pan or truss head would look so much better. Unless you are going for that whole antique vehicle look. In that case, go to square heads.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

how about the presence in the drive shaft nose - the bushing/spring and grease packed inside there ? so it floats without binding

on the trans output shaft ?

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I just dropped my tranny for a rebuild and have the same issue, Guibo cracking after 40k miles. No vibration or symptoms of any kind. I dont believe I have any misalignment issues but I must. If I do they are very minor. Im going to throw another guibo in and drive. If I have to replace them at 40k ehhhh

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

40K miles IS exceptable - but not one year....

heres my dia. of the centering bushing and spring

in the end of the d-shaft - with nice moly grease

allows the shaft to move and be held centered firmly.

what's yours look like jim ?

02driveshaftandguiboinstall.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

CD, you forgot to include your 5spd conversion picture with the crucial 80mm measurement... ;)

025SPEEDCONVERSIONpart1.jpg

The bottom of the trans mount MUST be close to the 80mm measurement from the frame rails. No or very little guibo flex when spinning the driveshaft.

OK, on to the gory details....

The 2002haus bracket is great, all it needs is the trans to be shimmed up about 8-12mm depending on the car. Shim the 2002haus bracket with a few large dia washers between the bracket and bottom of the mount, but not so many as the nut no longer has threads to grip on. If you need more space then put a washer or two between the top of the mount and the trans. Must have a wave lock washer at the bottom of the mount, not split lock, not flat. The Original design of that bracket had it in a Z shape that raised the mounting surface up to the required 80mm range from the frame rails... Just to hard to reliably bend that thick plate. (Don't ask why this shimming detail isn't in the instructions...) One of the reasons I have these washers on hand is this very purpose. Another is to back the nut at the bottom of rear shocks, sometimes the bushing can slide out and a big diameter washer there prevents the shock from falling all the way off the bushing. They come with new E30 Bilstein rear shocks but not the '02 ones... 10x30mm thick flat washer, 2mm thick.

http://www.winzerusa.com/?__event=browse_catalog&pid=4d89036ddcb2f7c33ef67900

An earlier post where I mention shimming the 2002haus 5speed bracket.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/p,847646/highlight,/#847646

So, no need for the OG style mounting ears.

The driveshaft/guibo need to spin with as little flexing of the guibo as possible. If your driveshaft is the right length you shouldn't need those extra washers at the guibo bolts! You have so many washers there that the crimp lock nuts aren't properly griping the threads... The trans height correction should fix the problem of needing the extra washers at the guibo. Are you using the proper OE bolts for the guibo there??

An original BMW or OEM Guibo should not rub on the shift coupler... Oh, if you are using the "new" style coupler with the round ring retaining clip you should get one of the older style ones that use the flat spring retainer. The newer style ones can catch on the shift tower and remove the ring.... And the guibo likes to rub on them easier. They are not the correct part for an '02!

You should have the proper thick washer on top of the mount too... the "normal" flat washer supplied in the Haus kit is incorrect, can flex/bend and come loose compared to the OE style extra thick one. Part# 64 52 1 350 824

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2583&mospid=47141&btnr=23_0767&hg=23&fg=15&hl=144

You should also be able to use the same style washer that goes between the back of the diff at the rear cover to the mounting bracket. Part# 07 11 9 931 096

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2583&mospid=47141&btnr=33_0870&hg=33&fg=10&hl=10

OK, on to those guibo bolts... Those don't appear to be the correct 10x50mm 10.9 hardness factory bolts for the "624" guibo application.... Part# 26 11 1 209 498

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2934&mospid=47175&btnr=26_0001&hg=26&fg=10&hl=5

If these aren't enough gory details then I'll be right here to ask for more. ;)

Cheers and HTH,

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

The 2002haus bracket is great, all it needs is the trans to be shimmed up about 8-12mm depending on the car.

Like a full centimeter's worth of washers? That seems a bit excessive, or I'm misunderstanding something....

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser