• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 years later...another guibo ready for replacement

jgerock

could the evidence of rubbing on the tranny be left over from the last guibo you had issues with? i don't see evidence on the current guibo from the pics. the bottom of the shifter shaft does not look polished either.

Good comments..

Here are the pics after I pulled the El Cheapo MTC brand guibo off after the maiden voyage (all of about 5 miles) and cleaned off most of the rubber bits.

pics3252010001.jpg

pics3252010004.jpg

pics3252010003.jpg

pics3252010002.jpg

Package from inferior guibo

Badguibopackage001.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I got to thinking the guibo should not run on a plane forward enough to touch the case boss where the shifter comes through. I dug thru my old photos and came up with this one. (It is a crop from a larger photo and I had to lighten it a bunch to see the area of inteerest). The boss can barely be seen, but it appears the plane of the output flange to be clear of the boss. The guibo forward edge is on the same plane when installed. So it seems something is pushing the driveshaft and trans together(?) for the guibo to rub where the rub marks are on your photo. Or your flange is more forward than it should be? Maybe you want to check the layout on yours.

post-8235-13667655952726_thumb.jpg

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Thanks for the picture Jim. I'll check that tomorrow although I think my output flange coupling sits higher than the adjacent boss.

Today's work involved several hours under the car along with fetching tools and borrowing mlytle's vice so I could modify a stock 4-speed bracket (Thanks Marshall!).

After trying to center the trans between the framerails, I was able to get the lower holes drilled and (4) bolts temporarily installed for the brackets. Tough to do by yourself.

Here is my old stock 4-speed bracket (too long) being tried

IMG_6841.jpg

The stock 4-speed body tabs measure about 3" (roughly 76mm) up from the frame rails and I've pushed the trans up almost as far as I can to mark the new bracket locations. They end up being the same 3" as the stock tabs.

IMG_6840.jpg

Here is the shortened (1/4" each end) 4-speed bracket installed with new tunnel brackets (top bolts yet to be installed)

IMG_6847.jpg

IMG_6848.jpg

You have to pull up some of the interior carpet and insulation to gain access to the nuts/washers, so I accidently popped the accelerator pedal off the floor nubs. Interesting modification by a PO.

IMG_6844.jpgIMG_6845.jpg

IMG_6846.jpg

I still have to drill and mount the top bolts. Note the driver's side tab interferes with the shift tower support (triangular brace). I'll modify the brace or just try to find a pan-head bolt so it doesn't touch.

IMG_6836.jpg

Jim Gerock

nice work Jim!

i have a NEW stock gas pedal for you. toss that thing you have.

and get that nasty looking shortened bracket off that car. do not put it back on until it has been properly prepped and painted! :-)

looks like length and mount hole came out right.

2xM3

That was a lot of work today. I have never liked that brace that holds the shift platform up. It seems to get in the way of whatever you try to do down there. You can send a bolt down through the top of the tranny tunnel into the rear of the shift platform and get rid of that brace.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

The mods made at your place worked out just right. No more cutting or filing needed. Definitely will clean and paint that old bracket before final installation.

Felt funny sitting on the floor with one arm inside the car with ratchet and 10mm socket, the other under the car with the allen wrench and my chin pushing down on the carpet against the door jamb. That would have been a good pic if someone was here.

Jim Gerock

That was a lot of work today. I have never liked that brace that holds the shift platform up. It seems to get in the way of whatever you try to do down there. You can send a bolt down through the top of the tranny tunnel into the rear of the shift platform and get rid of that brace.

I like the way this one sits above the tranny bracket instead of from below. Should be simple to make it work.

Jim Gerock

E21-like mount can be used to hold 02 shift platform up, too. I would not just screw it to the tunnel without a rubber absorption. 8, 9 and 10 here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1733&mospid=47175&btnr=25_0176&hg=25&fg=05〈=enUS

Sent you another email Jim.

Best regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Following this thread closely as I too have the U bracket from Rob. I built a DIY measuring tool to see how my set up compares to the 80mm as shown in the factory instructions.

This was the tool I built to clear the exhaust. The standoff on the frames are 45mm and then I locked the 2 nuts on the central threaded bolt to be at 125mm above the aluminum L-bar.

IMG_1950.jpg

This pic taken before I locked down the central reference ht.

IMG_1954.jpg

This blurry pic shows that the top of the flat bar is about one nut lower than 80 (about 75 or 76mm vs 80).

IMG_1955.jpg

I put in 2 flat washers which total about 5mm. I had to put it on top of the rubber mount between the mount and the gearbox.

IMG_1956.jpg

I've got it back on now. I am concerned that pushing it up has narrowed the gap a bit between the shift linkage shaft and the guibo.

IMG_1957.jpg

Byas

Interesting issue, i have had to change my guibo as well after about 15k, i was using the aardvark tab method. Alignment was good and so was deflection of loosely mounted quibo, nice rotation and not excessive spread and quibo still cracked.

I decided to try the cantilever method using one of Jakes U-bracket so time will tell how that turns out.

When i had the tabs bolted in i dont remember having them in same plane as the original tabs that are used with the 4-speed. the 5speed is longer and if i recall correctly they were lower than the factory. Did you check drive shaft alignment and guibo deflection prior to drilling holes for tabs? i think that is key when installing your new tabs from Lee.

yeah get rid of the shift bracket brace or maybe just use a cap head for more clearance.

hth,

Frank

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

how about this :

is there a spacer that might be missing on the output

shaft IN FRONT OF THE 3-HOLE FLANGE!? -which

would move the flange away from the box a few 0.00 mm's

which would resolve the guibo contacting the

case just below the shift shaft ??

there is a spacer in two thickness

25 x 36 x .1 mm

25 x 36 x .3 mm

if you look at parts frame:

1979 E21 USA 23_0700 Getrag 245/2/4 Gear Wheel parts

there are a few threads to spare for the nut

to still hold the flange adaquately?

IMG_6819.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I've got it back on now. I am concerned that pushing it up has narrowed the gap a bit between the shift linkage shaft and the guibo.

IMG_1957.jpg

Byas

folks...you can push up the tranny as far as you want and YOU WILL NEVER CHANGE THE GAP BETWEEN THE SHIFT LINKAGE SHAFT AND THE GUIBO! i see this comment alot. think about it. the shift linkage shaft is part of the tranny. so is the guibo. they aint gonna get closer together unless you crush the entire transmission or bend the linkage shaft.

• Like 1

2xM3

Byas (bnam): Your car is using the smaller diameter 8-bolt guibo so you shouldn't have any problems.

CD (and others via e-mail): The output shaft coupling DID have at least (2) shims between it and the bearing. I was careful not to remove them when I replaced the output shaft seal and housing gasket.

Funny thing about my problem.. I was just reviewing some old pics I took of the parts that came with the eBay transmission (before I chucked some of them). Take a look at the old Jurid brand guibo that was with the tranny (not attached):

IMG_5611.jpg

IMG_5609.jpg

IMG_5608.jpg

IMG_5607.jpg

Here is a picture showing how bent the shift rod was (most likely shipping damage)

pics92709006.jpg

Picture from the eBay ad

747c0049.jpg

Did this problem exist when it was originally installed in the '81 320i? As Lars pointed out in his e-mail to me, he wonders if the car was in an accident and did some damage that could be the issue? Not sure, but the tranny is very quiet, shifts smoothly and I have zero driveline vibrations.

???

Jim Gerock