• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just got it today.

manmademoons

Heyo,

My Volvo V70 XC caught fire on the freeway and exploded at a semi-truck weigh station. In the market for a fine automobile, I decided to follow my heart toward a 2002.

It's a 1975 Inka orange five-speed conversion. The engine was rebuilt about 27,000 miles ago. Weber carb, new ATS wheels from a Volkswagon, etc.

It drives like a dream, but the wipers stopped working. In Olympia, Washington this could prove to be a hinderance. I searched the forum for some answers and found one thread that gave me a little insight, but if I could get more I'd be much obliged.

New to the world of the 2002, new to the world of any kind of car that doesn't rely a good majority on electronic parts. My only two previous vehicles were a 1992 Acura Integra and the stupid pile of ash that used to be a 1998 Volvo wagon.

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

1975 Inka 5-Speed

If it's electrical, and the wipers are, always check the fuses first. Your wipers are on fuse #5, and the fuse box is on top of the driver's fender, near the rear. If the fuse is not actually blown (broken in the middle of the "hour-glass" shape) then try rotating the fuse back and forth a couple of times in its holder and see if that solves the problem. Might also try replacing the fuse (they sometimes develop a small "doughnut" on the ends that prevent continuity). You can get them at any auto parts store that caters especially to the VW crowd. I think you have BAP stores up there and they have them. I just paid 20¢ ea. for some at a BAP. White ones are 8-amp, red are 16-amp, and blue are 25-amp. Not knowing the complete history of the car it would not be a bad idea to replace them all.

And if you still have no wipers come back here and we'll advise where to go next.

Bob Napier

(Portland native & UO Grad)

The loss of wipers is an easy fix.

Use Rain-x and drive faster.

Welcome to the madness.

Electrical grounds are the cause of many problems on 02's. Make sure wire connections are clean and tight. There are other things that can cause the wipers to fail. I'd do some reading on the FAQ and check the stories against your car. Wiper motor, wiper switch, linkage. Be aware there are differences between the early cars and your 1975, but that's mostly on the electrics.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

In my "Owners Manual" it says that fuse 5 is for the left turn indicator and that number 12 covers a lot: stop lights, turn indicator lights, horn relay, wiper motor, screenwasher and reversing lights. None of these other things are affected. There are no broken fuses, but I wiggled them and rotated them a bit, but to no avail.

Couldn't hurt replacing them anyhow.

1975 Inka 5-Speed

" The loss of wipers is an easy fix.

Use Rain-x and drive faster..." that's what I was thinking,

and usually say but I was tryng to start off friendly

with the fuse solution. It's the fuses 94% of the time.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Unfortunately, the Owner's Manual is not correct for the '75 and '76 '02s.

The book is usually for the pre-square tail light cars (I know - I have a '75 and my wife drives a '76 and they both came with the older, incorrect fuse labeling diagram in the Owner's Manual).

Up at the top, right of this page click on the Site Search tab and look for "Fuses". Try to find the posting by c.d. (who posted above on this thread) that has the newer fuse layout underhood sticker. But, I just went our and verified on my '75 that the wipers on on fuse #5.

Also, on the same Site Search, look for "Wiper Motor" or "Windshield Wipers" for more info.

Bob Napier

post-21380-13667655804504_thumb.jpg

Working again! Found the correct wiring, and justjiggleditalittle! Sure, another temporary fix, but it's great for now.

I appreciate all the help. 98 Volvo station wagon forums were nowhere near as useful.

I'll post some pictures soon. Sure is orange.

1975 Inka 5-Speed

" The loss of wipers is an easy fix.

Use Rain-x and drive faster..." that's what I was thinking,

and usually say but I was tryng to start off friendly

with the fuse solution. It's the fuses 94% of the time.

Yeah, CD opened the door for me to start off with a smart ass remark.

Welcome and best of luck chasing the electrical gremlins.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Whenever I have an electrical problem, it is almost always a fuse or dirty connection.

Get a dremel with a wire brush and a can of electrical cleaner. Clean up ever electrical contact you can find in the fuse box and along the way to your wipers.

I've had more bad connections on my 02 (and my 86 chevy) than I care to count... If ya ever need parts drop me a line. I'm up in Issaquah/Seattle and I come through Olympia about once a month and can stop with parts. (Used misc stuff)

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2