• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Towing a 2002 on a Dolly...O.K???

Husker2002

I have a 1970 with the OE engine and 4 speed trans that I want to dolly down to the 2012 MidAmerica '02 Fest in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Before I get a bunch of comments to just drive it down there, only had the car since last May and not 100% confident of everything mechanical. I don't want to subject the engine to 75mph for 5-6 hours with the only a 4 speed. My question is, is it safe to put it in neutral and dolly the front wheels with the rear wheels free rolling. Anyone have any guidance or experience doing this?

Thanks in advance.

D. Jeff Gomon   -  1970 BMW 2002  -  1972 BMW 2002tii
1991 BMW ///M5  -  2005 BMW 330Ci (ZHP)

2018 BMW X5 Diesel  -  2021 BMW ///M2 Competition

I hear people do this with the drive shaft removed and you'd be OK, that might be with autos though.... And 75 on a 4 speed for 5-6 hour is no biggy for these cars, but I understand your concern about reliability.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Probably harder on the car to tow it as you describe than to drive it. If you've been driving it since May you've probably fixed anything that was about to fail. Ask if anyone else along the way is going and see if you can hook-up with them. Strength in numbers, especially mental acumen.

Bob Napier

Here's the thing-

the countershaft is driven off the input shaft. So if the engine's off,

the gears don't turn.

If the gears don't turn, the transmission doesn't lubricate the output shaft,

since it uses the gears themselves as pumps to move a bit of trans fluid

into the roller bearings that ride on the output shaft.

Does that matter, since the thing's not transmitting power? I dunno. Never seemed like

a GOOD idea, though. If you added enough fluid to cover the output shaft

before you left, I'm sure it would be fine. How much that is and how you'd

get it in there, I also don't know.

I wouldn't do it. But I'm chicken about things like that.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I've driven my touring for lenghts at around 150km/h here in Germany - apart from being a bit loud it's not a problem for a solid 2002, though i understand you concerns about reliability on a car you don't know thoroughly yet.

But i have to agree with the other that if you're towing it for such a long distance, you should disconnect the half shafts or anything.

Just as a note: for trucks (i mean real trucks not redneck toys) it's mandatory to disconnect the driveshaft when you're towing it more than 10km because of the reason already noted, that you don't have oil coverage for most parts in your gearbox.

Hi. Yes you can dolly it the way you described with the trans in neutral.

However, you've got some time before the event. Tune it. Change the plugs, points, distributor and points, oil and filter, brake fluid and flush the radiator. Check valve clearances. New brake pads if needed. None of this costs much. Then get under the car and check the suspension. If all seems good and tight... Drive That Car and have fun!

Mike

73 tii #2764014

WOW, great feedback from you all. As mentioned, "IF" I knew the car was 100% solid and I had better/more history with it, I would just drive it. Since I don't know any of that, I think its just smarter to dolly it for the Eureka Springs '02 Fest, to enjoy the touring and gathering. Further, if something should happen, I am already set up to drag her home with my X5.

That said, I agree with oiling of the rear output shaft potentially being a problem. Now, I figure since the front end will be elevated on the dolly, that "Might" raise the fluid level at the rear of the transmission to cover the bearing and seal. Then again, It might not. So, perhaps removing the output shafts might also be a great idea. Further to that, I was thinking about backing the car onto the dolly, and pulling it backwards with the front wheels on the ground. I know the car is a bit more heavy in front, but I wouldn't think it would be problem. I would install my OE 13" steel wheels with hubcaps on the front in case irregular wear should occur. Any thoughts on dollying it backwards?

I think I would rather just change two tires than remove the output shafts, but am willing to do whatever is best/safer.

Once again, thanks to you all for the excellent input and advice.

@Mike2002-

I totally agree with you and have already changed engine oil, Trans fluid, replaced the brake Calipers, wheel cylinders, rotors, brake lines, new brake booster, vacuum lines, flushed radiator fluid, gotten new tires and wheels, rebuilt the alternator, new belts, new battery, and ground cable. Not concerned with those parts at all. What does concern me is it burns a LOT of oil and smokes pretty bad on both acceleration and deceleration, so both the valve seals and piston rings are tired. I am just not wanting to "accelerate" that wear to a point of failure by running the engine at high rpms for hours on the interstates where the limits are 75mph, and you are still getting run over at 85mph. (It's still the wild west out here with LOTS of open roads and little impediments...lol). I'm sure it will be fine for the tours and caravan drives once a the event, I'm confident about that. An engine rebuild/refresh is on the list for this upcoming summer, which is why I wanted to have the car at the '02 Fest for some pointers on that, and some minor rust repair over the rear wheel arches etc. I performed all the other maintenance shortly after I got the car in May 2010. Safety items first, like BRAKES!!! It had none, so that was first. Unlike where you live in California, my 2002 nestled in close to my 91' ///M5 for the winter starting in late October/Early November and has been there ever sense on the battery charger. As I write this, there is about 6in. of snow on the ground and the roads are covered with salt and sand....alas, its home...

Once the average temps get into the 50's-60's, I will start breaking out the projects, but that won't be for a while yet.

Thanks again for all the great advice.