• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Sending Unit Q - # of connections

saaron

Hey there,

My tii has a fuel sending unit (which I bought a loooong time ago) that has two electrical connectors on it. The car's wiring has three clips - it looks like the fuel sending unit should have three connections on it.

I just noticed in my blue repair manual that the picture of the sending unit in the fuel system chapter has three connections, too.

Is the car supposed to have a fuel sending unit w/three connections? What would be the difference between two and three? The fuel gauge seems to work fine with just two of the wires connected.

My car is June 72 production tii - european version.

TIA

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Scott, I somehow I omitted the photos I originally posted. But, here is a photo of the sender in the touring which is Euro. And as Marshall said below, the Euro cars had the gauge wire and the low fuel sender light. The low fuel light is the same light as low brake fluid on US cars. The Euro cars did not have the low brake fluid warning light. I guess fuel was more important to the Germans than brake fluid.

Here is the photo again.

Brown

Brown with black tracer

Brown with yellow tracer

Sept0106copy.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Thanks Bill, Marshall and bnam.

It is strange that it has three connections - I've only seen two on other cars. I'll keep investigating. I looked in real oem and it looks like the unit for my car (looking it up as a euro 72 tii) is still available...I'll check with Blunt to see if it really is.

Marshall, I think I'm going to see John Blake tomorrow...I really want him to finish his car so I can feel that motor you sold him run! It looks great.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI