• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii air filter housing hardware

stymee

Need a little help from anyone with an original Tii air filter housing. I found an nice housing, but didn't get any hardware with it. Some of the stuff is either NLA or not listed at all. I was just wondering if anyone knew the size (OD/ID/Thickness) of the big washers that go between the bolt and the rubber washer and the size of bolt that is used to mount it to the car. (I know, I'm anal). Thanks to jgrock for the pic!

TiiAirBoxParts2.jpg

TiiAirBoxParts.jpg

1972 Verona tii - "Betty"

2002tiiRear.jpg

Try Walloth u. Nesch. I recently purchased these bolts and washers from them with no problem.

1968 1602 (body shell)(thanks SCR!)

1973 2002 (parts donor)(terminal NE rust)

1974 Tii (crushed, but rising from the ashes!)

heck, its just another winter in New England - the Tii will live again!!!

#11 is an M6x15

25mm for the metal washer and 30mm for the fibre washer is what I have on mine. The ID will be the size of an M6 bolt or slightly larger and I failed to measure the thickness. About 3mm if i were to guess. The new fibre washers from BMW seem to be a bit smaller than the original ones. That may due to the old ones being smashed and flattened out. Also, the original fibre washers where shaped on one side to contour to the curve of the housing. The new ones are flat on both sides.

# 8 is an M6x22 (I know you did not ask, just had that one on the top of my head - just trying to impress you)

• Like 1

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I have a 72 tii unmolested car sitting in a barn for 19 years.

Let me know if you need more info or pic of the fossil that I found.

And yes she runs and drives now!

post-66-13667656037061_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Chris Hutton

72 02tii Ceylon 2761758

71 02 Sunroof Riviera 2574316

68 1600 Bristol 1565358

88 535is sold

Ah!....Yes, you are correct about the nose.

It appears that the car had an incident requiring the nose to be replaced prior to sitting for 19 years. Everything else is as it was new in 72... Even have the dealer service records from 72 to 79 and the original bill of sale from the dealer in 72. The term unmolested may have been loosly used. The fuel lines and the electric rear pump replace to. Found a NOS from a local guy with the pump still sitting in the box.

Chris Hutton

72 02tii Ceylon 2761758

68 1600 Bristol 1565358

88 535is sold

Strut spacers moved to the top is not mulistation...I would consider that only to be prober massaging in the right places. I'm not a purist so that paticulare modification is correct for those in the know.

Bill,

sorry about the clamps ...Also, the lower hose is aftermarket one of those flex one size fits all. I guess sooner or later the hoses gotta get changed.

Chris Hutton

72 02tii Ceylon 2761758

68 1600 Bristol 1565358

88 535is sold

WOW!....again correct....All the monkeying around certainly contributed to the car sitting for 19 years. Clamps..? Electrical routing..? Yes for sure...but the nice part is having the dealer maintenance records (service book) with all the stickers from 72 to 79....At least I know that the first 7 years on the road no monkeys.

Chris Hutton

72 02tii Ceylon 2761758

68 1600 Bristol 1565358

88 535is sold

Just measured the washers on my '74. The ones on my air cleaner are:

Flat washer 30mm OD, ~6mmID

New BMW rubber washers ~33mm OD, 6mmID, 5mm thick.

Fender washer from Ace == 1 1/4" (~31.5mm) 1/4" ID will work. Rubber washers of the similar size as BMW but thinner (~3mm) are also avail at ACE.

Byas

Need a little help from anyone with an original Tii air filter housing. I found an nice housing, but didn't get any hardware with it. Some of the stuff is either NLA or not listed at all. I was just wondering if anyone knew the size (OD/ID/Thickness) of the big washers that go between the bolt and the rubber washer and the size of bolt that is used to mount it to the car. (I know, I'm anal). Thanks to jgrock for the pic!

TiiAirBoxParts2.jpg

TiiAirBoxParts.jpg

Thanks for the info, everyone! This community is awesome. I just realized that I have new rubber washers from Blunt that I could have measured to get a rough idea on the metal washer dimensions.

Bill, you are the last person that needs to be worried about impressing anyone, least of all, me! hehe. But what are the fiber washers you are talking about, you mean the rubbery ones? Or is there another washer that I don't know about?

Now that I look at the diagram again, I got 4 of #6 from Blunt, but that will only go between the housing and the bracket. So is #7 different than #6? Or do I just need 4 more of #6? A better question, why am I so worried about this when I'm only building a driver?

2002tiiRear.jpg

Fibre washers = the black rubbery washer you refer to.

Originally #6 was the curved washer that fit the contour of the air canister and went between the canister and the bracket. #7 is the flat one that fit between the bracket and the washer.

I think that the rubbery washers only come in the flat variety and seem to be a bit smaller in diameter than the original ones. I have the newer ones and they did seem to be small in comparison.

So, you will need 8 of something.

Measure the ones from BLUNT and report back. Interested to know the size of the ones coming from BMW now.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Bill, it only took you saying it twice for me to pick up what you were putting down. I can see the benefit of a shaped rubber washer between the bracket and the housing. I guess BMW cheated and just made them smaller and consolidated. Here is the "new" #6 rubber washer 16 11 4 08 0148. It is 30mm OD and 6mm thick.

IMG_5359.JPG

IMG_5360.JPG

IMG_5361.JPG

It does appear to have some fiber reinforcement in it, not just pure rubber. I guess it should hold up better over time, but it is smaller than the 33mm OD that bnam measured. Hrm...

Here it is with an M6 bolt and a 1" fender washer from lowes:

IMG_5370.JPG

The width of the airbox bracket is right at 35mm. I think this looks pretty good. Don't make fun of my chinese model bolts and my chinese calipers! All of my "real" bolts are packed up and ready to go out for plating. No excuse for the calipers.

2002tiiRear.jpg